Another great webcam image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
C3C8A801-8F1C-4078-B7E0-228ECA3E2FBF.jpeg

07:00 return from dawn shore dive….
(high tide)
325C5577-6042-4983-9BB3-9DF9C1ABF3FC.jpeg

We got back from our first trip to Coco View Resort a week ago... had a fabulous time! And on the way back in from a night dive we saw a big octopus right next to the first little platform in 3-4 ft of water (off the left side near the lounge chairs.)

B93DCD01-988E-4CC1-90DD-0E0BD1851882.jpeg
D1FBAC1E-BD44-4B7B-8FFF-08AF014AB1E8.png

Man I love CCV. I went for the first time last November, and made good friends while there. We are all meeting up again at CCV in August. I’m pumped!

I'm looking at May/June 2024 CCV. Is this a windy time of year there? How often is the front yard shut down for diving? Does wind and current really affect it?

1) Yes, quiets down progressively thru these coming months. [The odd looking dive boats look that way for a purposeful design utility. Center moon wells, four entries, three ladders, just for such conditions]

2) Never, except rare occasions at night. There are many times that people venture out and i just shake my head, but…

Even if it’s pure crap, crazy cross current, bad viz, all that…i have had magical dives inside of the reef, no deeper than 6’. Get tired? Stand up.

CCV has very few “rules”.

3) It? As in the Front Yard? Yes. Just keep one thing in mind: you have the only real viable shore dive on Roatan. No one else, anywhere else- even has the option. This shore ingress/egress access is used many times daily, guessing 100-125x per day. Night divers are a part of that guess, usually 5-20 each night.

The Front Yard is a study in hydrology that is pretty simple if you gave me an hour to explain it and keep buying me Salva Vidas. Suffice to say: never skip a drop off dive where you scuba in from the boat. It’s never any advanced challenge coming in.

If the waves are crashing over CCV Wall (on the L), that water’s going to affect your outbound paddle.

No matter how bad things manage to get near shore, once you get to the Prince Albert wreck, the vertical walls will be fine.

Talk with DMs, but your best source will be guests with 15 or 50 prior trips. Well before dinner, they’ve decided if they’re night diving or drinking beer. Divers are a friendly group, esp at CCV where sharing their familiarity with the terrain is a big thing.

@Doc

I'm sorry to rain on your parade but I have some serious criticism of that photo.

I'M NOT IN IT!!!! :wink:

Looks great, looking forward to going back. Had a great trip back in 2018, and got to meet @Doc one evening and had a great conversation :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom