Another "help me buy a macro lens" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all-

I'm hoping someone can help me decide on a macro wet lens to buy.

I currently own a Fantasea Line FG7X II and am really comfortable with it when shooting wide. I'm a competent land photographer when it comes to macro lenses, but have no experience with underwater macro work.

That housing uses a 67mm thread, so I don't have to go with a Fantasea lens if I can find another good 67mm. However, for reference, they do sell a number of their own.

I'd probably prefer something that doesn't require me to get right on top of the subject and risk scaring it away. With normal lenses that's just a matter of comparing focusing distance ranges, but that kind of info doesn't seem to be readily available for underwater lenses.

So, I guess my two requirements are "something with a good magnification and a focusing distance range that won't force me to be right on top of the subject."

Or, maybe the working distance doesn't matter if all of these can focus to infinity. If that's the case, then I guess I'm just looking for a nice lens with a good zoom magnification that runs probably less than $300 give or take.

Thanks!

Start with a Subsee +5 then get a Nauticam smc/cmc which ever one suits compacts.

The CMC from nauticam will get you to 3x magnification (i.e. 23 mm full frame) and increase your working distance at closest focus from 23 to 56 mm.
Cheers
Bill

...Or, maybe the working distance doesn't matter if all of these can focus to infinity.
Thanks!
Nope? If you read a bit about macro one of the common subjects is the difficulty to use the (higher diopter) lens due to the extremely small DOF.

A common behaviour seems to be to lock focus and then rock the camera back and forth a few millimeters in order to get your subject in focus.

I have a Canon G16 with a Subsee +10 which I normally use at full zoom for macro. DOF seems to be about 1/4 inch...

I have a Canon G16 with a Subsee +10 which I normally use at full zoom for macro. DOF seems to be about 1/4 inch...

Dang, that's crazy shallow. I imagine I should begin preparing myself for a lot of mis-focused shots now. :)

Dang, that's crazy shallow. I imagine I should begin preparing myself for a lot of mis-focused shots now. :)
Yes. But pics are free. Delete is easy. So take lots of pictures. Even more.

--deleted--

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom