Another help with finding the right resort yet again question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not dived Wakatobi BUT Misool has by far the best and most beautiful soft coral in indo and probably the whole world!!

Okay, I'm picky, and many may disagree, but for me Wakatobi is still my gold standard for soft coral, winning out over any other place we've been, at least any other place in Indonesia. YMMV.

Okay, I'm picky, and many may disagree, but for me Wakatobi is still my gold standard for soft coral, winning out over any other place we've been, at least any other place in Indonesia. YMMV.

Really???? Wow did not expect that. As I said I have not been to Waka but looking at photo's and from other reviews I would never have said Waka was better than Misool for soft coral.
BUT you have been to both and I haven't so I cant argue too much.

Overall then would you choose Waka over Misool? Or should I rather say Waka over RA?

My experience has been that Wakatobi has a few more species than Misool, but not more than RA as a whole. For example 6-7 types of anemonefish. Misool Eco is great once you get there. Some fabulous dive sites - mostly wide angle with some muck. The transfer boat to Misool can be unreliable - mostly fuel issues. Last year the typical 3-4 hr ride took 6 hrs going & 8 hrs return. Since I prefer muck Wakatobi was more productive photographically. No matter where you decide to dive in Indonesia you'll have a super time. It's part of the most bio-diverse area in the world.

We remarked at Wakatobi that the guides were so busy scouting out macro (which is excellent) that they ignore the profusion of corals, which to me is a shortcoming, since my photography backround is landscapes, not marine macro. Maybe because of that I spend time looking at coral as much as scouting for creepy crawlies on the bottom (not that I don't like that sometimes). The majority divers, I think, want to see things that can motate from point A to point B more so than stuff that just sort of sits there.

RA, even Misool alone, by virtue of its size, offers a lot of varied diving terrain. Komodo, to me, is the "mini" RA, in that you get a lot of variety in a smaller area. Wakatobi packs a ton of variety into a smaller area than the others if you consider only the diving done from what is officially known as the Wakatobi Dive Resort.

Just so we're not talking apples and oranges, when I picked Wakatobi over the other two, it was for soft coral only, not the overall diving experience ... and again, just my opinion. The argument about what is the "best" divng of the three ... that's a judgement I don't even want to attempt. They're all world class, without a doubt.

We have been to both areas and they are both stellar! You can not go wrong at either location. If you go to Misool Eco Resort request Bram as a dive guide!! Have fun!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom