Another lost camera long shot thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife lost her camera today at the north end of Colombia Deep. Fumbled handoff at surface at the end of the dive when the camera separated from the strobe, also lost. The camera is a SeaLife DC 1200, and the first picture on the card is a "this camera belongs to" shot. We are at Blue Angel in room 101 until the 23rd. Reward.

Good Luck. I hope you get it back.

Sorry to hear that Gordo. Smart on the picture though. I have always thought that was a good idea, but have never done it. I need to take the lesson and do that too....

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. You might also want to post in Lost & Found forum. Good luck on a recovery or insurance claim... :sad:

Sorry to hear that Gordo. Smart on the picture though. I have always thought that was a good idea, but have never done it. I need to take the lesson and do that too....
Also a good idea, starting at $4: Floating wrist straps for camera
31FC1Seld3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Even if your camera floats, a bright strap will make it easier to see on the surface...

Last edited:
Update, though not good news. I realize now that while we were chasing the sinking strobe, which is all I ever saw, the camera itself was probably floating around us and we never realized it. It's on its way to Cuba by now.

We'll be on Coz May 27-June 6th and we will have our eyes open, of course.

Now if only I could think of a way to write off the trip as some sort of 'search and recovery' mission... Do you happen to have (or be willing to claim to have...) pictures on the camera that would affect national security? Stealth plane secrets? Mexico board fence plans? TSA escape routes? Naked pictures of Romney?

Reactions: Jax
My DC500 with strobe was found and returned, I never thought in a million years I would see it again. Thanks to an Honest, and One of the Best
Dive Guides in Cozumel, Hector, with Scuba-Du, and a GOOD Friend. :wink:

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. You might also want to post in Lost & Found forum. Good luck on a recovery or insurance claim... :sad:

Also a good idea, starting at $4: Floating wrist straps for camera Even if your camera floats, a bright strap will make it easier to see on the surface...

I have the same camera and that same floating strap. The strap is attached to the strobe plate. I never thought to check and see if the camera floats without the strobe and strap.... I would assume it is positve bouyant. :confused: Maybe I need to check!

I have the same camera and that same floating strap. The strap is attached to the strobe plate. I never thought to check and see if the camera floats without the strobe and strap.... I would assume it is positve bouyant. :confused: Maybe I need to check!
DC1200, right? Yeah, I think it is buoyant, but it'd be difficult to see on the surface. I think Gordy mentioned that her camera and strobe detached, they chased the sinking strobe but missed, and the camera floated off. :sad:

I think my previous strobe floated easily and was yellow. The Digital strobe is black :( and I guess sinks. I need to fill a tub in the backyard and do some testing! I did not get mine wet on the one trip I've had since acquiring it as I screwed up and took the wrong flash link adapter. :silly: Still, I'd rather have an orange strap on the camera than strobe; if they detached, I'd rather save the camera! I see straps in various colors. Yellow might be good, but not tan, blue or purple - dumb.

I've never checked my connection screw on pre-dive but I may now. But who knows. Cameras do turn up, even if rarely. With a lot of luck it could float up to Blue Angel, get caught in an eddy and land. :eyebrow: Well, strange things happen. See Hawaii surfer reunited with camera lost underwater for a year - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom