Another newbie question, this time the swim requirement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nthach

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I know PADI and SSI have a 200 yard swim test and the only way to work on it, obviously is to swim. Does this have to be done in a certain time frame? I'm thinking about taking a swim class just for pool time since I don't have access to a pool besides the public one down the street from me which I never have time for.

Well, I got my cert through SDI. We had to do 4 laps(8 lengths of the pool) I don't recall any time limit, but after we finished we had to go to the deep end and tread water for 10 minutes, which wasn't too bad. If you don't have access to a pool just do some strength training and some cardio. Good Luck! :D

Ok, I know PADI and SSI have a 200 yard swim test and the only way to work on it, obviously is to swim. Does this have to be done in a certain time frame?
For PADI, there is no time limit. However, the swim must be continuous. That is, you must keep making forward progress, and cannot rest by hanging onto the edge of the pool. You can use any stroke or combination of strokes you want. Some folks who aren’t strong swimmers find the side- or back-stroke easiest. Best wishes.

I don't recall a time limit from my SSI OW. If you have the time for he swimming class, it wouldn't be bad since you may get some information on your profile in the water ot making effective kicks.

There is no time limit. PADI and SSI allow you to substitute a 300 yd snorkel for the 200 yd swim, but I don't recommend it. There is no time limit for either. Neither NAUI nor anyone else of whom I'm aware has a swim requirement for AOW.

Anyone know the AOW swim requirements for NAUI?

I am NAUI OW certified and PADI AOW. The only swim requirment for NAUI is yes, you must swim 200 yards, without touching the bottom of the pool or grabbing onto the side to rest. However, there is no time limit and you can use whatever stoke you want.

If you can't get to a pool to get some swimming in (due to cold weather). Do some aerobics to get your wind and conditioning up and some squats with light weights or at least knee bends. Your breathing and your legs getting heavy are the two problem areas you will find on that 200 yard swim. And yes, unless you are working out every day on the treadmill or swimming every day, 200 yards will be a lot harder than you might think.

There are now swim requirements for NAUI or PADI AOW (no pool sessions). It's just a course of study with scheduled "specialty" dives.

I just my OW from PADI a couple months ago.. 200 yard swim, any stroke, no time limit... just have to keep moving, you stop your done... I am 43 and not in the best shape and I did it, never was what anyone would call a strong swimmer either... just take your time, vary the strokes and you can do it....

Once you are done you will have to do a 10 minute float/tread, again this is easier than it sounds, just relax....

PADI AOW from what I understand is just dives mainly (5 from what I am told) no swim test...

Im damn unfit and did the 200 yards swim no problem. The 10 minutes treading water was just relaxation time for me as Im very buoyant (need 18lbs weight in tropical salt water). The 2 girls I was with really had to work hard at it though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom