Another newbie question, this time the swim requirement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For my PADI AOW, I was able to wear my fins, and use snorkel. In open water, I had to do a 150M distance, turn and return. We had a similar requirement with compass for navigation dive. Not able to stop, and not able to pop your head up for more than a moment.

I didn't even know I was taking a swim test my SSI Instructor just said we were going for a little swim with snorkel, mask and fins. It wasn't until we got back that he told me I passed the swim test.

Cardio conditioning works across platforms. Some other people have mentioned this. You will ace any swim test if you spend some time in the gym, on the treadmill, in spinning classes, whatever, in prep for the test. Give it a few months if you're starting from square one, fitness-wise.

You don't need a pool to prepare for the test. Cardio conditioning is cardio conditioning. Have fun! :)
Katy

Im damn unfit and did the 200 yards swim no problem. The 10 minutes treading water was just relaxation time for me as Im very buoyant (need 18lbs weight in tropical salt water). The 2 girls I was with really had to work hard at it though!

I gotta imagine elementary backstroke, while potentially embarrassing, would be a breeze. I suck at swimming (crawl) because I can't get the breathing down, but seemed to have no problem when practicing over the summer doing a backstroke.

Back
Top Bottom