Another O2 cleaning question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

electrix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It was time for a hydro test on my 2 steel 108's the LDS had them for months (excuse was they are so big and heavy ) I finally started looking around for a place to get it done myself. I found a place that did the hydro test for nearly everybody in town then I found a place that serviced medical O2 cylinders and they would clean them for me, so I went to the LDS and told them I could get it all done and would he fill them if I did ( they do PP nitrox ) he said no that they did not do blah blah blah. I told him ok fine but I never believed he was telling me the truth, was he? It was not about money it was about me getting to use my tanks instead of them setting at the LDS.

If the O2 place can put an O2 clean sticker on them, then why not? But I doubt they have that ability thus the dive shop response.

I'd trust the medical gas supply folks to do a good job long before I'd trust the dive shop, but if the dive shop is the only place you can get your gas ... well, they've got you by the short ones.

It seems to me that if you could find a way to get the tanks hydroed and cleaned on your own, you should also be able to find someone who would inspect them and put an O2 clean sticker on them. Perhaps at the dive shop you should be using instead of the one you are using now.

I don't personally disagree with anything anyone here has said. Having said that it's my health and welfare I'm putting at risk by accepting someone elses word the tanks have indeed been O2 cleaned. Unless I know for a fact that the person/place who is slapping an 02 sticker on the tank has indeed done the work I'm going to insist on the 02 cleaning be done by me if you want me to PP blend your tanks.

we really need shops properly educated on this!

Look at it this way... An exploding scuba cylinder is BAD. Really BAD.

I have my own compressor and maintain all of my own gear, and do all of my own continuous and PP blending. And though I do everything myself, I am STILL nervous when standing next to a steel tank that I'm blending and charging to 3,442 p.s.i.

So the person who is filling the cylinder has every right to decide what he is (and is not) willing to do. Because the consequences of cylinder failure are so catastrophic.

Personally, I would not do any PP blending in a cylinder that I didn't clean myself. And if someone took one of my O2-clean cylinders to get filled somewhere else, I wouldn't blend in that one, either, until I had inspected and cleaned it again.

Someone else's O2 sticker is meaningless to me. My compressor.... My rules. A commercial fill station, for business reasons, is not likely to be as stringent as a private fill station operator. Some may accept someone else's O2 sticker, others may not.

So.... either agree to your fill station's requirements or buy your own compressor.

If you want start-up advice on your own compressor, send me a PM and I'll be happy to give you free advice.

Back
Top Bottom