Another PT-015 crack question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Cal Divin

Reaction score
My PT is less than 6 months old. Last week I noticed a hairline crack at the opening knob just below the locking latch. It doesn't seem to go all the way through. It does cross the o-ring's path though. I dove with it for the first time last weekend at the beach. Depth was 34' max with no problems. In 2 weeks I'm heading to the Yukon. 100' max depth.
Should I worry?
What are the chances of the crack going all the way threw?
Does anyone else have this problem?
What's the best insurance to protect my gear?
I bought the housing from LP.

TIA Jeff

If you're sure its a crack & not a mold line or blenish, don't dive it. It may very well get worse, especially at 100 ft on the Yukon. Any discontinuity in the base material near an o-ring groove is definitely not a good sign. You don't want to loose the camera. Contact Olympus & request replacement. I'm not sure how they are handling defective cases these days. Hopefully they will be helpful. Cracks seem to be getting more common in the PT-015 housings. (Don't forget about the mode control problem.)

When I noticed the cracks in mine I was a bit afraid to take it in the water again. So I sent in my PT-016 to Olympus and today I got a response...The crack is not due to workmanship, quality or normal usage.....yada yada yada....End of story = Not covered by warranty, $91.-.
I am guessing since there is no way to repair it that I will get a new one for $91.

justleesa:
When I noticed the cracks in mine I was a bit afraid to take it in the water again. So I sent in my PT-016 to Olympus and today I got a response...The crack is not due to workmanship, quality or normal usage.....yada yada yada....End of story = Not covered by warranty, $91.-.
I am guessing since there is no way to repair it that I will get a new one for $91.

I definitely have cracks in my PT015. Oly gave me exactly the same response - $90+ dollars to "resolve my issue".
I think they have a fairly high problem rate, but for a mass produced, cheap housing, I guess they think it's an acceptable failure rate. I've gone Ikelite.

I'm not sure what /where the "opening knob" is -- could someone give me a bit more info -- I want to check my pt carefully before I use it...

Seth

So Cal Divin:
My PT is less than 6 months old. Last week I noticed a hairline crack at the opening knob just below the locking latch. It doesn't seem to go all the way through. It does cross the o-ring's path though. I dove with it for the first time last weekend at the beach. Depth was 34' max with no problems. In 2 weeks I'm heading to the Yukon. 100' max depth.
Should I worry?
What are the chances of the crack going all the way threw?
Does anyone else have this problem?
What's the best insurance to protect my gear?
I bought the housing from LP.

TIA Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom