Another reason explaining how the jewfish got its name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are getting it all wrong.:11: Bill has an individual fish named after him, not a species named after him. It's a "pet name", for a "pet" animal.

That's way more fun than having taxonomic claims on a critter. Us classical folks don't like formal naming after people, anyway... it's a waste of otherwise *translatable* latin.

I guess everyone can call me a redneck, because a Jewfish is a Jewfish and it ain't one of them there Goliath Groupers.

I guess everyone can call me a redneck, because a Jewfish is a Jewfish and it ain't one of them there Goliath Groupers.

And a redneck is a redneck.

We could try renaming the barracuda as the Virginia redneck snapper, or the manatee as the Florida redneck seal. We could start by calling these the red-backs, and then graduate to rednecks. Etc.

Nobody obviously thinks of themselves as a redneck. It is a classic blind-spot issue, and only after someone else shows you a checked-off list does it become a bit more apparent. I don't know if there are counsellors to help overcome this syndrome however. As long as you stay at home though, there should be no international issues with this.

Knotical,

I had heard the jawfish version before as well, but the version I heard was from our snowbird friends trying to either emulate speaking Cracker & missing the pronunciation or misinterpreting a Cracker word. To me this seems like a very logical version. I have seen similar occurances when watching other people trying to communicate with some Cajuns. Or, in the Caribbean, when watching people from different islands speaking patois and then reverting to English to interpret terminology and pronunciation.

... which is precisely how Key West got its name, from Cayos Huesos (flat islands of the bones) = key west.

Is the old story true: : "If you boil a jelly fish , it will dissapear"

Sounds like BS, but maby????????

Nobody obviously thinks of themselves as a redneck. ....

I believe this statement is erroneous. Ever heard of this guy: Jeff Foxworthy.com

:D:D:D:D

That's an interesting story about the name and as reasonable as any other explanation. I always wonder where other fish got their names. Like Molly Millers, Dog Snappers, Slippery Dicks, etc.

You guys are getting it all wrong.:11: Bill has an individual fish named after him, not a species named after him. It's a "pet name", for a "pet" animal.

That's way more fun than having taxonomic claims on a critter. Us classical folks don't like formal naming after people, anyway... it's a waste of otherwise *translatable* latin.

Yeah, but I'm petitioning to have the whole darned species named after me!

Sorry for jumping on this one so late, as to the origin of the jewfish’s name being the jewfish this should provide a little clarification.

Jewfish, June fish, Goliath Grouper, What’s in a Name
Although most of us still recognize goliath groupers by their former name: Jewfish. Florida’s early settlers had another name for this behemoth of the grouper family, the June fish. Apparently the name was derived by the fact that these large fish were the most accessible to
fishermen during the summer months beginning in June.

Somewhere along the way, the name evolved into Jewfish. As to how it got there has generated plenty of speculation. One of the more, colorful insinuations I heard from some the old-timer fishermen in the Lower Keys and southern Gulf when I was kid, was that the fish was “so hard to skin.”

In 2001, the fish’s name was officially changed to the goliath, meaning large, not "Goliath", after the Philistine giant slain by David.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom