Another reason explaining how the jewfish got its name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been reading the Audubon Aquarium's volunteer training manual, and came across an interesting passage regarding the origin of the "jewfish" name.

I don't know appropriate it is for me to post copy from their online manual, so I'll leave the weblink to it as well.
AAOA Training Manual - Gulf of Mexico Gallery: A Grand Finale
Until recently this fish was commonly called a jewfish. It was changed because jewfish was considered politically incorrect. The name had nothing to do with the fish's religious affiliation; it came from the fish's scales having a jewel-like appearance in bright sunlight. The scales on the sides of the body glisten and glimmer like gemstones prompting early fishermen to call it the "jewelfish." Later generations of fishers contracted the name to "jewfish."

I have never heard this argument before. I even checked into Scubaboard's own *lengthy* thread on this back in 2004.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-life-ecosystems/63185-how-did-jewfish-get-its-name.html

Does anyone else recollect hearing the "jewelfish" story? I need to find me some scales from this fish...:eyebrow:

Interesting... and also interesting that species with the common name "Jewfish" are found in several regions including SoCal. I'd be surprised if more than one species became jewfish starting with a name jewelfish. However, ours are certainly "gems." Although the name here was changed to black sea bass and then giant sea bass, there is still Jewfish Point on Catalina where the anglers used to catch them... and divers still see them.

Whatever the origin of the name, the renaming of it was downright STOOPID! Why on earth did they have to name it after the Jew's worst enemy in the Old Testament? THAT was the most bone head move this century! That it was done in the guise of being politically correct makes the slight especially egregious!

Why on earth did they have to name it after the Jew's worst enemy in the Old Testament?

lol

:rofl3:

I always assumed it was the profile. Coming from a Neanderthall family with the Cretin forehead, I can say that, can't I? My brothers look like the "missing link" according to the Jewish side.

Jewel fish, hmm I never heard that. It almost sounds like some PC backpedalling..

I want to name a shiksa fish after myself. How seriously can you really take naming a fish after a person?

Hey, there's a 600-lb giant sea bass in Catalina waters named after me... "Dr. Bill." Of course the guys that named it probably didn't realize it is most likely a female.

wow, I am impressed Bill.

I lived there and left no legacy whatsoever.

hey, at least they did not name one of those wild boars after you.

Rednecks mostly refer to things in ethnic terms. I know rednecks are a proud people, and that they will never give up calling giant sea bass "jewfish." There are a few other terms they use as well. Most everyone falls into one or another of their categories. It is a rich verbal plethora of homespun terminology.

There is a little redneck in everyone. Not just the rednecks. I could give examples. However that would not be P/C of me.

In Greece, the land of the philosophers, these fish are called giant sea bass. Although the rednecks in Greece if they don't like you will simply call you a Turk. Not that there is anything wrong with being a Turk, unless, of course, you happen to be in Greece. :D

Rednecks mostly refer to things in ethnic terms.

they do it in Hawaii too, more than in the South. I could give hundreds of examples...plantation culture legacy?

Whatever the origin of the name, the renaming of it was downright STOOPID! Why on earth did they have to name it after the Jew's worst enemy in the Old Testament? THAT was the most bone head move this century! That it was done in the guise of being politically correct makes the slight especially egregious!

My Bible history is a little hazy, I am afraid. But I thought the Jews' worst enemy in the Old Testament was the Philistines?

And isn't Philistine a modern word for a redneck?

That's right, and the biggest baddest Philistine of them all? Goliath!

I Samuel 17:4 A champion named Goliath, who was from Gath, came out of the Philistine camp. He was over nine feet tall. 5 He had a bronze helmet on his head and wore a coat of scale armor of bronze weighing five thousand shekels ; 6 on his legs he wore bronze greaves, and a bronze javelin was slung on his back. 7 His spear shaft was like a weaver's rod, and its iron point weighed six hundred shekels. His shield bearer went ahead of him.
8 Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, "Why do you come out and line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not the servants of Saul? Choose a man and have him come down to me. 9 If he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects; but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us." 10 Then the Philistine said, "This day I defy the ranks of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other." 11 On hearing the Philistine's words, Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified. NIV

So, in the name of political correctness, they renamed the noble Jew Fish the Goliath Grouper. Go figure!

Back
Top Bottom