Another review of the VDH Argonaut 18# wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapeter

Contributor
Reaction score
I see that others have reviewed the VDH Argonaut wings here on scubaboard. I wanted to share my experience and observations. I can echo what other have said about the quality and attention to detail. Bryan sure got it right with this wing. What I found the most appealing about this wing was it's compact size. I usually keep little to no air in my wing so 18 pounds of lift will be more that sufficient. I compared this wing directly against some of my other single tank wings and found it to be perfect in every way. These photos are all of fully inflated wings on a Faber LP 85....
IMG_0145.JPG

Dive Rite Rec wing... The jack of all trades wing. I find that it is really too big for any single tank and better suited for doubles. Lots of drag in the water.
IMG_0144.JPG

Dive Rite Venture Wing. With 45 pounds of lift, its still too big and still susceptible to the taco effect.
IMG_0143.JPG

Zeagle 30 pound donut wing. Less drag but still on the long side.
IMG_0142.JPG

Zeagle Express Tech Wing. Excellent piece of gear. This used to be on my VDH plate, currently it is homeless. Compact shape and very little drag.
IMG_0141.JPG

Dive Rite Travel wing. At 27 pounds, it has plenty of lift. This was my go-to wing for many adventures. Prior to the Argonaut wing, this was my gold standard.

IMG_0140.JPG

Zeagle Scout. The attached 24 pound wing is just like the express tech wing. This set-up is ultra packable but I miss the hard plate.
image.png

So here is the NEW GOLD STANDARD!!! This wing is exceptionally well made and would be a bargain at twice the price that Bryan is charging. I find that it packs small with a VDH plate and weighs next to nothing. As a side note, although the VDH plate was designed with a double hose regulator in mind, it works equally well with a single hose as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 259
Thank you for doing that. I think it will be tremendously helpful for people still considering the VDH wing to see a direct comparison. I agree that this wing sets the bar from here on out.

Would love to hear you experience with venting each wing completely vs. the vdh. I always found some wings to hold that last bit of air at the safety stop. Curious if you find the vdh better in that regard

One thing I deeply dislike about my VDH18, I don’t get to dive it much! Just back from diving it on the freedom plate in Truk, it was like diving without a wing, a little air on the surface, empty throughout the dives, no notable drag. Never came close to snagging on any of the tight spots and on the surface put air in it to hand it off to the boat guy.

Saving my pennies for one! Do you think this would work with a 5mm in colder waters? Thinking about taking one with a freedom plate to galapagos but dunno if I would need more lift.

Last edited:
Would love to hear you experience with venting each wing completely vs. the vdh. I always found some wings to hold that last bit of air at the safety stop. Curious if you find the vdh better in that regard

Thus far, it appears to vent very well. I think that this is due in part to the excellent shock cord system. I expect that Bryan will sell a pile of these wings....

I’m at Tahoe right now. Went out today to dive for bugs and used my VDH 18lb for the first time paired up with my size large stainless FPC V4.
The water’s about 60. I used a Bare 5 mil with a hooded vest and 8 lb weightbelt. Weighted perfect.
As I expected, the wing kicked ass in every category, ABSOLITELY COULD NOT BE HAPPIER!
It also floated my rig no problem. 5 lb plate with stainless accessories, MK20 with a single G250, and a steel 72.
Nice thing aboit Tahoe is you don’t have to rinse your gear.

I’m at Tahoe right now. Went out today to dive for bugs and used my VDH 18lb for the first time paired up with my size large stainless FPC V4.
The water’s about 60. I used a Bare 5 mil with a hooded vest and 8 lb weightbelt. Weighted perfect.
As I expected, the wing kicked ass in every category, ABSOLITELY COULD NOT BE HAPPIER!
It also floated my rig no problem. 5 lb plate with stainless accessories, MK20 with a single G250, and a steel 72.
Nice thing aboit Tahoe is you don’t have to rinse your gear.

I don't see how this is possible. 8 lbs + 5 lbs is already getting close. Once you add the 2 pounds of the regulator system especially a g250 as well as a full steel 72 which is about another 5 lbs I just can't see it happening. Not to mention at depth when the neoprene crushes and gains even mooore weight. How?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom