Another stupid knife question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Super Noob 1258

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at a Caribbean trip (probably Cozumel) this spring. I currently dive a backplate and wing, and I am going to make a duffle bag that converts to a backpack. I plan to pack all of my gear, clothes and computer in this, and not take a checked bag. How can I bring a knife (It is a Halcyon H-Knife, in case you're interested). It seems silly to take a checked bag just for the knife. What can scuba board sugest. I am meeting some friends there and may be able to hand it off to them and then pick the knife back up when I meet them at the destination.

Any suggestions? Should I just take a checked bag?

If you don't check a bag, you cannot bring a knife since they aren't allowed in the carry on bags.

Alternatively, you can ship a knife to your destination and hopefully get it when you get there. You could also buy a knife when you are there and donate it before you leave.

Then again, if you are going to Cozumel, from what I understand you are not allowed to have a dive knife in the marine park anyway.

With that cool little sheath and velcro, I would just take the sheath. You could buy a $2 pealing knife in a hardware or grocery store and leave it behind when you go home.
Or do the check in bag....

I am looking at a Caribbean trip (probably Cozumel) this spring. I currently dive a backplate and wing, and I am going to make a duffle bag that converts to a backpack. I plan to pack all of my gear, clothes and computer in this, and not take a checked bag. How can I bring a knife (It is a Halcyon H-Knife, in case you're interested). It seems silly to take a checked bag just for the knife. What can scuba board sugest. I am meeting some friends there and may be able to hand it off to them and then pick the knife back up when I meet them at the destination.

Any suggestions? Should I just take a checked bag?

Dump the knife and go for some EMT shears Prestige Medical 7" Stainless Steel Utility And EMT Scissors | allheart.com

Not nearly as macho, much more useful

And will still get thrown away at security in the airport.

Not true. TSA agents have a template that measures the scissors blade from the pivot rivet. The limit is quite generous (4"?) and even pointy tips are allowed as long as you are under the length. Works kind of like the box you have to fit your pistol into prior to a match. If it fits you're good. Unless maybe you're OJ...

Buy a cheap knife while you're there and give it away when you leave.
Maybe a z-knife or a Trilobite would get past airport security?

Noun

moot point (plural moot points)

1. An issue that is subject to, or open for discussion or debate; originally, one to be definitively determined by an assembly of the people.  

:rofl3:

Don't make me go all English teacher on you but 'moot' used in your example is an adjective that modifies the noun 'point'.

Moot as a noun has even more obscure definitions.

Too much time in the sun:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom