Question February 2023 Cozumel Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't pack dive gear in a mesh bag for checking on a flight. I pack mine in something with rigid sides that doesn't broadcast what is in it.
On our last two trips I saw mesh bags with regs, fins and who knows what else come out on the baggage carousel! So somebody is checking that stuff. I always carry on my regulator, computer, camera and mask.

I wouldn't pack dive gear in a mesh bag for checking on a flight. I pack mine in something with rigid sides that doesn't broadcast what is in it.

Ice is safe.

Mosquitoes may or may not be bad, depending on if it has rained recently.

Cold tolerance is different for everyone. I would bring too much neoprene and use what you need.

Credit cards work fine most places, but taxis require cash. Get pesos from a bank owned ATM, not the free standing ones on the sidewalk; do not pay taxis with US$.

Restaurants - there are many great ones to choose from. Here are a few I really like: 'Ohana, La Choza, El Moro, La Perlita, Pancho's Backyard, Kondesa, Especias, Casa Cuzamil, Casa Mission, Blue Angel

We always dedicate a day for an excursion around the island; there are funky little beach clubs every couple of miles over on the east side. There is a golf course on the island if you are so inclined. There are some ruins at San Gervasio if that interests you. Chankanaab Park has some stuff like ziplining. There are a couple of sunset cruise operations with drinks and food. Blue Angel runs a day cruise down to Cielo with snorkeling, drinks, and food. When I am not diving I can just sit or lie in a hammock and stare at the water for hours.

Enjoy your trip!
Sadly, golf course closed 2 years ago. The jungle is reclaiming the fairways and greens. A condo development is now being built on the property.

Looks like you should be back from your trip. We stayed at the Occidental nearly 13 years ago before Barcelo took it over. We really like it and had a great experience with the onsite Prodive. Hope you had a great experience and we just booked a couple of weeks starting early June with our boys going for their first big out of the country vacation. Fingers crossed!

We're going to Cozumel Feb 12-19. PADI package, staying at Occidental and diving with the onsite dive shop, ProDive. We're advanced open water with Nitrox and are very active divers (we live in South Florida), however we are new to travel dive trips.

Seeking advice:
1. Can we pack all the dive gear in a mesh duffle bag and check the bag? or should I pack our regulators in our carry-on?
2. Does the dive operator keep your gear for you for the week, having it set up for you on the boat?
3. I know not to drink the tap water.... but are alcoholic drinks on ice safe? Thinking the alcohol kills everything?
4. I've heard not to eat the salads because its rinsed in tap water?
5. What other food/drink precautions should I take?
6. Is diving a Cenote worth it? Does it require a special certification?
7. Do I need to pack bug spray ? Are the no-see-ums and mosquitoes bad?
8. I've been told the water temp is around 78-80 degrees, we're packing 3mm shorties, is that enough?
9. Do I need to bring lots of cash or is a credit card usually good?
10. It's all inclusive, but we may go into town, any recommendations for restaurants and things to do on a non-diving day?
11. We are DAN members
12. Anyone else staying at Occidental Feb 12-19?

Thanks!
How was the trip?

Back
Top Bottom