Another video from Norway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a club trip last weekend. Coast of middle Norway.

[video=vimeo;142415987]https://vimeo.com/142415987[/video]

I guess you really have to be care full when handling the monkfish, they look like they put up a good fight, and have sharp little teeth to boot!

If you could compare the taste of this fish, which would be a good comparison?

Frank G

I guess you really have to be care full when handling the monkfish, they look like they put up a good fight, and have sharp little teeth to boot!

Yup, the teeth are pretty sharp, and they're all pointing backwards, so if you stick your hand down its mouth like this guy did, you've got a problem. It's also a bit of a pain in the back if the fabric of your catch bag gets inside its mouth.

However, the monkfish isn't particularly aggressive, unlike the wolffish. While a large wolffish usually is very docile (unless speared) and can be petted, the small ones can be aggressive, and a speared and p!ssed-off wolffish is someone I definitely don't want to have attached to a line running back to me. That's one reason (safety is the other) I prefer a pole spear over a speargun for UW hunting in NE Atlantic waters. I want to be able to keep that sucker at an arm's length.

If you could compare the taste of this fish, which would be a good comparison
Lobster.

I like to cook it well done, as the flesh tends to be a bit jelly-like if undercooked. Properly cooked, it's quite firm, but still juicy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom