Another "What's the best" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowDidIGetIntoThis?

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After almost 15 years it may be time to upgrade from my trusty Sherwood Axis BCD. It has performed well in warm and temperate water and was satisfactory when matched with a 3mm wetsuit / 85 ft3 aluminum and a dry suit with a 130 ft3 steel tank.

In addition to requiring the new unit to be good for travel, temperate, and maybe cold water it is not impossible that I may want to get into tech diving, which would most likely involve side-mounts.

I've looked at the recommendations posted by BurhanMuntasser on 9 Sept and agree that the ScubaPro Hydros Pro looks like a considerable step up from what I'm used to. ScubaPro's videos put a lot of emphasis on the travel-friendly nature of the product and did not address the cooler water capabilities in as much detail. It does not appear to be side-mount tolerant.

I would prefer to avoid products which involve changing numerous components to transition from temperate to warm, such as backplate changes. Aside from the cost, I have a basement full of junk and doodads and don't need to add to the clutter.

Lastly, I'm a Christmas tree diver and suspect that numerous optional attachment devices are going to add considerably to the bill.

Alternative recommendations would be most welcome.
Thanks

You'll end up buying a bp/w. Especially if you want to go tech, there's no way around it, and it's not a bad thing. If you want to go sidemount, get a sidemount set, there's also no way around that.

I would prefer to avoid products which involve changing numerous components to transition from temperate to warm, such as backplate changes.

Considering a bp/w for now, you would not have to change the backplate between your 3mm or drysuit and steel tank. At the 3mm end, you may not need any, or just a little, added lead. At the drysuit end, especially with a steel tank, you also wear significantly less over a floaty BCD.

My stainless steel backplate+STA weigh 7.5lbs together. I don't do 3mm even in the tropics because I get cold, but here are my weights as a benchmark:

5mm/AL80 - I add 3-4lbs (in practice 0 with pony bottle)
5mm+2.5mm hooded vest - I add 5-6lbs (in practice 3 with pony bottle)
Drysuit/AL80 with light undergarments - I add 10-12lbs (in practice 8 with pony bottle)

All that weight goes onto my cam bands. So instead of having the weight of the bp/w+all that lead on a belt, it is all part of the rig and assists with trim.

Back
Top Bottom