Another WS question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Folks,

I tried the search, but couldn't come up with any answers.

A bit about me:
I have had my OW for about 4 years, but have just recently fallen in love with the sport. I had averaged about 5 dives a year as a vacation diver, but I recently found that I quite enjoy the diving locally.

I will be mostly diving Izu and the Tokyo islands, but I will still continue my once per year tropical vacations. I think that because most of my diving will be around the tokyo area I should have a 5mm wetsuit.

I have researched some options and I will make it to my LDS in the next week or two to try some on. Wetsuits seem to go from $100 to $1000. Is there a major difference? Would a $100 wetsuit that fits well be good? or good enough?

I will be taking my AOW later this year and would like to at least own my own WS, boots, fins and goggles.

TIA
TokyoSuits

fit is the most important feature of a wetsuit, but there are going to be other features that you might be willing to pay extra for (not sure about going all the way to $1,000). Ease of getting in and out, flexibility, how good the seams are made will affect the longevity of suit. There are a lot to choose from, but I would say find one you will be comfortable with and don't worry too much about spending a lot. My current suit is five or six years old and is holding up pretty well and I spent only around $200 (on clearance).

I have never and will never pay more than $150 for a new suit. If I need the features of a more expensive suit, I'll buy one on sale. My most recent purchase is a 4/3 suit, back zip, lined with full back gusset and all the features I need and I got it for $150 on sale. Of the 8 or 9 suits I own it has been the most expensive. It replaced a similar suit I bought 10 years ago for $120.

Unless you're hard to fit there's absolutely no reason to spend $400 on a suit. That said, I am tall and skinny, like the suit manufacturers design for and if you don't fit that form suits will not fit you as well and it may be worth it to look at custom suits, which can still be had for ~$400. Anyone paying $1000 for a wetsuit (I'm assuming US dollars here) is paying way too much.

I can see a custom wetsuit costing more than average, but I would never drop $1000 on a wetsuit as they do wear out. At that price you may as well start looking at entry level drysuits.

If you're hard to fit, I would go to a store and prepare to sweat. A lot. I tried on 16 suits before settling on one that fit and I believe that once I go dry & once that wetsuit gets worn out, I won't go back. It was a hot, sweaty time... and eventually I found one that worked. I also wasn't prepared to spend more than $200 or $250 on the wetsuit. If I was easy to fit then I wouldn't want to spend more than $150 or so, as posted above... I know some people want colour coordinated suits and are willing to pay more for the "design" but I really just cared about fit.

Thanks for the replies.

I think it is perhaps where I am that is the problem. All of the less expensive wetsuits that I have found are Japanese sizes. While I am not overly big, there is no way I can shoehorn myself into one of those.

I had hoped to pay around $150 US because that is what I had budgeted and it is around what I would be paying to rent over the next few months. I still cant believe they charge almost $25 per day to rent a WS!

I dont need to worry about colour coordination because the only other equipment I have is goggles and I dont really care.

While I am not overly big, there is no way I can shoehorn myself into one of those.

How tall is "not overly big", if I may ask?

A high quality 5 mil full suite in this area that you can try on and buy in a shop will run between $200 and $275.00. Occasionally a sale price will be lower. Allowing for regional price differences, there still is no reason you should spend much over $300, and can probably spend less.
DivemasterDennis

Not all companies have the same sizes. I am a large short which some companies have and some do not. So it can pay to check out a number of brands.

Im 179cm. The problem probably isnt my height but my body shape.

Okay, can`t say anything about that, but there are suits available that would at least fit your height, like from Scubapro (XL up to 180cm) or Pinnacle (XL up to 187cm). Those suits are in the 20 to 30k Yen range.

Maybe a custom size ordered suit from World Dive? The Catalogue price for a 5mm is something like 55k yen, plus 10k for custom order.

Other than that, you could try and contact japan-diver on this forum, he might have easier access to a suit that fits your size. I could also imagine the US base shops on Okinawa are selling suits that are not the typical skinny Japanese sizes.

I personally got the 5mm Pinnacle Abby in L (I`m 176cm) for something like 18k Yen.

By the way, if 5mm is enough or not depends a lot on yourself. I would think Izu is a bit colder than Kyushu, and at least two weeks ago I thought my 5mm was just enough. A bit earlier I was still diving with 5mm plus 3mm hooded vest, and during the Winter months until end of April, most people over here dive dry.

I agree that rental prices are high...over here in Kumamoto the two shops I have been diving with charge 9k and 10k yen for full gear.

/edit: That being said, I am heading to Shikoku this weekend for some diving and I was told full rental is 3600 Yen.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom