Anthony's Key - how much cash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MemphisDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone:

My family and I are leaving this Saturday (07/09) for Anthony's Key. Our 2 kids (14 and 11) will do Dolphin Scuba Camp and the wife and I will dive. Based on info from the Board, I think we've got a good idea of what to bring (bug spray, beach towels, alarm clock, etc.) but I am still unclear on the cash issue and would appreciate any advice those of you that have been to AKR may have.

I know I'll need $30 each for departure tax and cash for tips - so here are a few questions I have:

1. Tips - who and how much? I typically tip the DM and boat captain $5 per tank per day. Is this reasonable here also? Who else would typically receive tips? Housekeeping staff, staff with Dolphin Scuba Camp, others?

2. Most charges at the resort I can put on the credit card. Are there other items that will require cash?

3. Availability of cash? I was told by the agency that booked our trip that an ATM was in West End. Is this accurate and has anyone had experience with this.

4. Without getting too personal - how much cash did you take? Was it enough or were you scrimping by the end of the week?

5. Any experiences - good or bad - with travelers checks?

Thanks for your help - can't wait till Saturday!!

MemphisDiver

Oh man, I'm jealous, my next trip to AKR isn't until October. You will love AKR, Roatan is gorgeous and the diving and the food are great! Ok I am going to try and answer your questions.

Tipping: I am a fairly big tipper and I usually tip everyone, DM, boat crew, taxi boat drivers, maid, bar staff, restaurant staff and front desk. The most I have ever given in total for tips was around $400. (Needless to say, they love me down there. <g>) They do the tipping at the end of the trip, just ask for envelopes at the desk.

Cash: Other than money for tips, you won't need any money at AKR, you can charge everything to your room and then pay it all on credit card when you check out. Although you usually check out the night before your flight and then you must pay cash for your drinks, etc. after that. We usually go down to West End a couple of times, drinks are much cheaper than at AKR. The taxi ride is only about 7-8 minutes and should cost $3-5 per person. (Make sure you put on lots of bug repellant on your ankles if you go to West End.)

ATMs: The problem with getting money out of the ATM, is that its a pain to get to and I have heard of people having problems with it. I usually just bring cash and put it in the safe boxes they have behind the desk at AKR.

I usually take a fair amount of money, enough to cover tips, taxis, drinks and any gifts. Also make sure you bring some small bills ($5s and $10s) because they like to give you change in limperas.

Don't miss the dolphin snorkel, its great fun. AKR is really great, they have lots of things to do, so you will never be bored and the staff are really great and friendly. I would name them, but there are too many. Watch out for Paco (the parrot), he will bite when he thinks you aren't looking. :11:

Have a great trip!!!

Dion :)

LOL!! Ok I just figured out what day it is. DOH!!! Sorry I didn't see your message sooner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom