Anthony's Key Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R-man is dead on. Wild encounters are way better, although I do understand why people enjoy the encounters in captivity.

I did the dolphin snorkel in 2006. I had fun, but I now regret it knowing more about the international dolphin trade and exploitation that goes on around the world. And that's what AKR is... they say they do research.... Yeah right...:shakehead: It's a business, no more, no less. this said, the pens were not all that bad from what I've seen in documentaries. Even if they are captive dolphins, the conditions there seemed not too bad.

Anyways, I won't go again... but to each to make his/her own mind up on this!:coffee:
Cheers!

We have been to AKR 3 times (all in July). Did not have AC the first time and spent the hottest, most miserable night of our lives. It cooled down after that and was OK but we got and used AC for all stays afterward. We have also stayed on the key and on the hill. If you have never stayed there before, I would stay on the key. Especially if there are kids in tow. You get the ocean views and breeze. You are closer to the pool and are more a part of the overall experience. You do have to take the water taxi back and forth but it is fun (unless it is raining). It runs nonstop so you never have a true wait and it only takes a few seconds to get across. Up on the hill, you have extremely limited to no view of the ocean. You are closer to the food/bar but probably aren't physically any closer to the dive shop/boats. It depends on if you would rather ride a boat over to them or go up and down a pretty steep flight of stairs. If you choose to stay on the hill, definately get AC because there is no breeze at all up there. You have a hill behind you and thick trees in front. I would get AC irregardless (our miserable night was on the key). Our experience is that there was no difference in the rooms/cabins or bugs at either place. We found the food to be good and the waiters great. If you like spicy sauce, find the waiter Celase (big guy, not hard to find) and ask him for his sauce. We had it at every meal and then brought some home.
Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom