Anthony's Key Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well said, so Isla Roatan is a Carnival created island? I need to research this more. If so, the charges make sense. But you have to admit, that is a pretty large spread, $137 vs $200. We'll see what happens. After all this I think we might just do a std 2 tank dive, or if I can convince her we're gonna do the shark dive through AKR for $100(which the cruise does not offer, so I cant see them asking me to book this one through the cruise)

Maybe your next vacation you could spend a week or 2 at AKR. If you stay there you can get a really good deal on a dolphin dive.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

It is if you want to see dolphins...

Or, you could just dive near Iron Shore and First Bight.

I guess you could do that.

Hi, my girlfriend and I are going on a 7 day cruise coming up this Sunday to: Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel aboard the Carnival Valor.

I see the dolphin dive with AKR is $200 if you book with the ship and $137 according to the AKR web site.

I called AKR and they said I cannot book directly through them and must book through the cruise. I find this is bullshxt because I normally try to book separate to avoid the crazy surcharges.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips?

Anyone else going to be on our cruise?

Its part of their contract with the cruise line. This will happen anytime you try to book directly with an excursion that is offered through the cruises.

For us, the dolphin dive was overrated IMHO. If you want to see dolphins, do the dolphin encounter. If you want to dive, book a couple of dives with a local operator and save your money. We did like the shark dive in Roatan though. Get to actually swim with the sharks rather than just sit in the sand and watch.

Boostedz06,

Curious if you decided to cab it over to AKR and had any luck getting in on the dolphin dive? I will be there in about a week on a cruise, it's not offered by my cruise line (although other AKR dives are), and it is the dive that my wife really wants to do. Looking for any hints or tips you might have picked up.

Just back early this morning (6 Aug) from Roatan. Did the dolphin snorkel/swim which includes the dolphin encounter just Wednesday (5 August). EXCELLENT. Originally started dolphin encounters at AKR in 1996. Ever since have NOT done the dolphin dive because everyone including staff say the encounter/snorkel/swim in the enclosure is far more interactive.

I would try to do this in the morning when the water is less stirred up and viz is better. This trip did the dolphin encounter about 4 pm and viz was bad. Dolphins were great however - as usual.

Currently there is a mother and small calf which are wonderful to watch. They both decided to put their noses right on my camera lens - made for an interesting picture for sure.

I can't speak to the costs since we were there also working at the Clinica Esperanza in Sandy Bay so had special rates (still $82 USD).

Enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom