Antigua: Dive boat leaves behind two scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Ayisha - I didn't make it clear. Actually, I was kinda responding to the combined thots. Anyway, thanks for your input, of course...

I just wanted to point out that the info was not necessarily sea-related.

You and Don are correct! The information posted was from research conducted in other applications. I threw the challenge out in my earlier post though, if someone can provide ANY research that states yellow, orange, white, or any other color is better than fluorescent yellow or day glow lime green (Don, they appear similar to me too), please post the facts here. I spent time searching and can not find any research in the past decade or so that would support using any color over another on the high seas. Based on research that proves the effectiveness on this color in other applications, can one make an assumption that it works well in a marine environment? Educated forum readers can draw their own conclusions.

I respect those who have different opinions and only ask that those posting opposing opinions be supported by sound research; not just "gut feelings."

I would like to be proven wrong so I can make a better decision regarding my personal safety. Thanks in advance for taking on the challenge and finding facts I could not find on my own.

Respectfully,

Blades Robinson

IS ANYONE GOING TO DEMA? IF SO, PLEASE STOP BY THE DIVE RESCUE INTERNATIONAL BOOTH (next to D.A.N.), #2342. I WOULD LIKE TO SAY "HELLO."

Well, we probly do not need to "prove beyond a shadow of a doubt" (an old Perry Mason TV saying that caused a lot of confusion in the real world) which color is best. I think all the posters offering information have helped to show that Florescent Orange and Florescent Yellow are both flashy colors that can aid in a search.

The important thing is that every diver who goes to sea needs to carry one on every dive - even vacations divers following dive guides. If you have one, use it; if you don't have one, you can't.

Also mentioned in other discussions, a signal mirror can be invaluable in daylight (see DAN Tags) and a dive light can be if the search runs after sunset. I carry a Sausage, Mirror, Dive Light, Storm whistle, and Dive Alert whistle on every dive including practice dives in a spring as those are dress rehearsals for the real show to me.

Additionally, a camera flash and/or strobe can be used. The strobe can be flashed even if the camera is not working, or the camera can be flashed - if the camera card is full and stops working, delete pics and start anew to get new flashes. :wink:

small point - grossly insensitive of the rescue crew to say, and then the news to report, that one was "crying like a baby". I dare anyone to go through that and hold up, but no need to humiliate the guy on top of it. Not every quote or factoid is newsworthy, its called ethics and judgment

Agree that, AA - but "ethics" is not in the playbook of the tabloids quoted, one of which is banned to even mention here on SB. I can face death for a few minutes okay, but when I have to think about immediate risk for very long, damn. Last time was a couple of years ago, hospital admissions, couldn't talk for crying. Luckily it worked out for me, too.

I'm not quite sure what the problem was here :shakehead: Wouldn't the simple task of a head count prevent this sort of thing from happening? It sounds like someone forgot how to count :11: And what about the divers? When I am on a dive,I usually try to communicate with just about everyone on board. Normally, you're planning to spend much of the day with everyone on the boat, why not try to familiarize yourself with everyone? Of course there are a lot of people we come accross in life who really could care less about getting to know other people. Either way, I think if any one of those people were paying at least an ounce of attention to the people around them, this situation would have never occurred.

So what is the lesson learned here? Don't assume that the Dive Master will notice that someone is missing. We should all take the time to familiarize ourselves with the fellow divers on board. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom