Two freedivers drown - Oahu, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Jul. 23—Two male divers reported missing were pronounced dead at Velzyland Beach early this morning after rescuers recovered their unresponsive bodies from the ocean, according to the Honolulu Emergency Medical Services.
The Honolulu Fire Department received a 911 call at 3:40 a.m. today for two free divers reported missing for several hours off Velzyland Beach near Sunset Beach.
HFD sent five units staffed with 16 personnel, with the first unit arriving 10 minutes later and accessing the shoreline through a locked gate. A second unit secured a landing zone at Sunset Beach Elementary School.
Firefighters reported seeing a submerged dive light about 150 feet from shore that was not moving, so they dove underwater and retrieved an unresponsive diver attached to the dive light, and brought him to shore. He was transferred to the care of EMS at 4:42 a.m.
The search resumed for a second diver in the same area with an Air 1 helicopter providing aerial support and inserting rescuers with scuba-diving equipment to search underwater and provide overhead lighting for spotters onboard conducting a visual search. The second unresponsive diver was found and brought to shore, where he was transferred to the care of EMS at 6:49 a.m.
The custody of the divers was transferred to Honolulu police, EMS and Medical Examiner's Office at 8:01 a.m.
There were no signs of foul play or suspicious circumstances as they went diving with friends and family but did not return to shore, according to a police report.
The divers' identities were not immediately released. The men were 32 years old and 28 years old, according to HPD. An earlier EMS report described the victims as in their 20s.

I read about that incident earlier. I had dived that site once in about 1982 when I lived on Oahu. It's a locals spear fishing spot...which is why I only dived it once. I didn't want to intrude on their hunting grounds. I speared fish too and I just chose other spots.

Sad to hear… Om Shanti!
So they went freediving after midnight in the dark?

Sad to hear… Om Shanti!
So they went freediving after midnight in the dark?
Sunset in Honolulu was 7:12 PM so assuming the times in the news were correct, it does sound like they went freediving after dark!! ??

This kind of diving after dark is not rare here in Hawaii. Once I had some divers pass by my place very late at night, in heavy rain. The darting lights of what was a large group of divers was very spooky. I only noticed them from the yelling between divers and the lights under the water. Also, calling this "free diving" I think is a little inaccurate. Diving to hunt at night has nothing to do with breath hold diving -- they are very different activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom