Anxiety about DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the things we do really, really well in scuba instruction is make divers terrified of getting DCS. By that, I mean we probably do it a bit too well. If you have been on ScubaBoard for a while, you will have seen countless threads in which people are afraid that they got DCS on a really mild dive on which there was next to no possibility whatsoever.

I see some instructors that scare me when talking about DCS! When I teach I make and repeat several very key points.
1) I emphasize that DCS is fairly rare if you follow the safe diving practices we talk about
2) I go through the physics and physiology and explain what DCS is, how/why it happens and how we as safe divers mitigate that risk
3) I go through the first aid response to suspected DCS
4) I repeat #1
5) we go thru ascent rules, safety stops, dive computers

I don't do scary. I don't do exploding lungs. I do emphasize safe diving. it's that easy.

I see some instructors that scare me when talking about DCS! When I teach I make and repeat several very key points.
1) I emphasize that DCS is fairly rare if you follow the safe diving practices we talk about
2) I go through the physics and physiology and explain what DCS is, how/why it happens and how we as safe divers mitigate that risk
3) I go through the first aid response to suspected DCS
4) I repeat #1
5) we go thru ascent rules, safety stops, dive computers

I don't do scary. I don't do exploding lungs. I do emphasize safe diving. it's that easy.
Fortunately, I had really good instructors. We went over DCS in class, learned what it is and how to avoid it, and I came out of it with a healthy respect for it, but not fearing it. I knew as soon as I got my OW cert that if I am deep and nearing my no deco limit I don't rocket to the surface because the more I ascend, the more no deco time I have.

All one needs is to know is how to read their computer and act accordingly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom