anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mask clearing is hard for many beginning SCUBA students. I guess it comes from people not liking to get their face wet. It seems to trigger all sorts of panic conditions.

I remember years and years ago as a child learning to swim there was a little drill that I was given to get used to having water in my face. It was just standing in chest deep water, bending over and putting my entire face in the water and blowing bubbles. I think part of the problem with mask clearing is people get a little water up their nose and it really bothers them. With my swimming experience, I automatically keep enough air pressure in my nose to prevent any water from coming in.

Also, you can just go to the pool or a pool on your own time and fool around with mask clearing, snorkeling with or without mask and so on.

NEVER pinch your nose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tell my students, "You only need 3 things at the pool at this point. 1. Mask 2. Snorkel 3. Weight belt with weight." At this point, I do overweight my students.

At no point will we leave the shallow end of the pool and I stay between my students and the deep end.

We take our snorkels off our masks and put on our weight belts. Leaving the masks on the pool deck, put on our weight belts, take our snorkels and get into the shallow end of the pool. I keep them no deeper than chest level, waist deep is even better. We put our snorkels in our mouths and breathe from it. I tell them they are learning to breathe through a snorkel. Now that's obviously silly, but I am training them to be comfortable with a mouthpiece in their mouths for long periods of time. I require them to keep the snorkel in their mouth except when the have to take it out to accomplish a particular task. I explain everything first, then I demonstrate the skill, then I give them tips on how to complete the task. Finally, they do the skill. They do it over and over until they think it is easy.

I always teach with simple J snorkels. It can be hard to find them, I keep supply on hand and give them a snorkel with their class. Purge valves and devices to keep water out are unnecessary and a crutch,

I first show them how to breathe through a flooded snorkel. Dipping the snorkel into the water, I hold it up and show (clear J) them the tube is completely blocked with water. I then inhale through the snorkel, bubbling air through the water. Once I have a good breath, I blast the water out of the snorkel. I then have them do the skill.

The second skill involves misdirection. I have them bend over and breathe through theirr snorkels while dipping their faces into the water. If they are comfortable, they stay awhile until they feel natural. If they have difficulty, I tell them to think about drinking through a straw while they practice the excercise. I tell them to remember, they can always stand up to end the excercise at any time. If they need to, they can slowly build up their time until they feel comfortable. They think they are learning a very easy skill - breathing through a snorkel. What they are really learning is no mask breathing. This is a skill that many experienced divers have not mastered. Following this method, your students will master the skill on the very first pool session.

Next, practice dropping underwater, allowing the snorkel to flood and coming up to blast it clear, leaving their face in the water. Continue until they are comfortable.

Finally, we drop our snorkels to the bottom, drop down, put it in our mouths, come up and blast it clear.

At this point, you have accomplished three important things.

1. You lowered their anxiety level by working in a no risk (shallow) environment.
2. Your students became experts in no mask breathing.
3. Your students know they can breathe with a flooded mask.

Now, put your snorkels down and pick up your masks. Tell your students to put it on and drop down to their knees. (Don't forget you explain and demonstrate before having your students attempt any skill) They will then break the seal just enough to allow a small amount of water in. Clear the mask. Do not pull out on the bottom, merely push in on the top while looking up. The biggest mistake most people make is not looking up. The second most common mistake people make is not exhaling through their nose. They must keep their mouths closed. Repeat this until they are comfortable. Don't forget to have them stand up and catch their breath between clearings. Now, increase the amount of water they allow into the mask to about ¼ flooded. When they are comfortable with that level, move to ½, then to a fully flooded mask. When you've reached the point they can clear it easily every time, see how many times they can clear it on one breath. I demonstrate clearing my mask 6 times on one breath. My students all reach at least three times before I move on. After you are at this point, clearing their masks will be easy. You will have reached it in a step by step manner that was easy to accomplish.

Now we drop the mask, put it on, clear it and come up. Finally, put the snorkel on the mask, drop it, recover it, clear the mask, come up and blast clear the snorkel. Remind them that they've just cleared their mask three times on one breath and that this exercise is much easier.

I've found this method to be very effective.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am my worst critic and thought i would/should of done better. I feel better about this as you have confirmed what everyone at my lds has said. I'm not alone in this and it is one of the hardest things to learn. that being said I know have anxiety and doubts of being able to continue. guess it is my ADD kicking in and making the anxiety thoughts worse.. I do however have every intention of getting through this even if it takes me months of practice.

Greetings evonder and welcome to scuba your anxiety is normal and easy to remedy! RELAX, RELAX AND THEN RELAX SOME MORE!
Just take it one bit at a time!
I was a wreck and was the one in class who could not get through with the mask skills at all.
What I did do was go home and practice, I wore my mask in the shower.
I wore it watching TV it looked weird but it got me used to breathing through my mouth and not my nose!

When my personal pool time came I was determined to beat the anxiety and conquer the skills.
I did just that not real pretty but completed them well enough to move on to OW.
Dive #1 we did a partial flood and clear with no issues!
The anxiety I had in the pool was gone and I sailed right through skills easily.
Why? Well chlorine is not my personal favorite, I was fascinated by the fish and seeing what was under the water.
A whole new world awaits and it is far more spectacular in person than in the DVD's or movies.

You are going to be fine like the training you have went through to be a fire fighter you will overcome this issue as well.
Feel free to PM me and we can talk about anything to help you feel at ease.
I personally know several divers who had serious issues who their weakness became their strengths through determination and training.
Hang in there brother and commit to training and seeing this through!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

evonder, many of us had challenges in our training -- read the journal of my open water class that's linked in my sig line, if you don't believe me. Not everyone is a natural diver, but most people can get through their issues with a bit of determination and practice. I went from doing somersaults during the no-mask swim in class, to doing a 48 minute lights-out exit in my last cave class. If I can do it, anybody can.

I know that some issues with new divers doing this skill can be attributed to breathing from your mouth without your nose blocked like with a mask, breathing from your mouth can cause the bubbles to be forced up to your nose, getting the uncomfortable feeling of water up your nose.

In through the mouth, out through the nose.

Remember, stay calm, breathing too shallowly can cause you to panic... it's just like breathing with the mask, except you can't see and have no nose block.

Too many times on SB, I see folks very quick to critisize instructors and dive shops. To begin, I just want to recognize that it's nice to hear that the OP has a positive, patient and understanding instructor, willing to take his time and help OP to get comfortable.

My second comment relates to technique. When my son and I did our Discovery Dives, prior to training, the instructor showed us his technique for mask clearing. Both of us had some difficulty at first, especially getting water up our noses. Then, when we began our formal training, our "new" instructors showed us a slightly different way to clear our masks, perhaps they simply explained it better, but we both were able to clear without any problems and it's virtually second nature to us both now (note: we are both newbies with less than 10 dives).

Anyway, my point is, if the opportunity presents itself, perhaps ask another instructor or diver to show you how they clear their masks. It may just take one word or slightly different demonstration that will flip the switch for you. YouTube also has a number of videos on mask clearing.

As you can see, there is alot of support here on SB. Good luck!

I've been diving for 8 years and recently decided that I needed to go through and practice my skills again. I did a SCUBA Refresher today. Guess what I had a TON of trouble with? Mask clearing. I decided to call it quits for the day and practice in the pool just like the folks here are advising you. I remember it being a challenge for me when I got certified. I got through it with practice the first time and I know I will again.

You're not alone. :)

Hey Buddy, Just thought I would add something to the already great pieces of advice already posted regarding the mask clear. The physical action needed to clear the mask is exactly the same action as blowing your nose. Focus on the idea of blowing your nose { just like you do at home when you have a head cold }, except you are doing it under water. Also, dont worry about scuba snot, it happens. :>

evonder:
I do however have every intention of getting through this even if it takes me months of practice.

An hour or two and you'll have it if you follow my procedure. Most folks get it much faster.

Back
Top Bottom