Anxious at safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To those that are following this post, I went diving in average depth 3.6m - 5.8m and had no trouble maintaining buoyancy then. No anxiety, ever entered my mind. I was so relaxed it was weird (but enjoyable).

Definately a pshylogical issue which I need to get to the bottom off.

i have added extra weights to compensate but it’s really not helping. The problem is psychological but how to combat…I just don’t know

It doesn’t matter any difference - shore dive, boat dive.

it’s very frustrating and I guess the frustration adds to the anxiety. I have never had anxiety problems before and I’m very chilled and non panicked under the water, only the safety stop . 😖
Anxious as well and I feel you. I am surprised I am a new diver and this thing hits very experienced divers too.

My instructor reminded me to breath normally and sometimes close my eyes for a moment (you have to hold on to your buddy). And my anxiety is minimized. Sometimes I get myself busy with preparing to deploy my DSMB.

Ucarkus - Fear of shooting to the surface is true, and I think that adds to the anxiety. Focusing on my computer might be the distraction and focus I need so I will try that. I think that might also give me comfort that I’m not getting to shallow. Though the ear flapping may be a bit difficult with the hood on, maybe a little wiggle will do. That made me laugh 😂

Edwants2dive - I usually stop vertical but have just realised that may be part of the problem as the whole dive I’m horizontal and bring vertical may be disorienting me
If you stay horizontal you can easily use your fins to move up or down in the water column. If you're vertical, any movement at all is only going to propel you upwards, and once you start, things are only going to speed up,

Hi everybody. I am an female 1000+ dives diver aged 60 who has all of a sudden developed anxiety during safety stops.

I used to be able to hold my stop with no problems, now I rely upon the line which I absolutely hate.
I have no trouble poking around on a 5m shelf while doing the safety it’s only when a line is available. I can feel the anxiety building toward the end of a dive.

Has anybody else experienced this?

cheers
Di
I have had this same issue just sitting in the water column. For years I was fine and then one day it flipped and I had my first panic attack underwater. I think the main thing that has helped me is just to focus on calm breathing. My mind tends to wander, but I constantly remind myself that my worst enemy underwater can be my mind and keep reassuring myself that I'm ok and have been ok throughout my whole dive up until this point. I know it's easier said than done, and I still struggle sometimes, but the love for diving keeps me motivated.

This is an old thread. Nevertheless, it still seems relevant.

Recreational dive, correct? If you get nervous during your safety stop, why not simply ascend to the surface? The SS is optional, after all.

rx7diver

This is an old thread. Nevertheless, it still seems relevant.

Recreational dive, correct? If you get nervous during your safety stop, why not simply ascend to the surface? The SS is optional, after all.

rx7diver

There's that but it's quite possible that the OP has changed her breathing technique, unbeknownst or unrecognized by her, to keep her position in the water column during the SS. She may well be retaining too much carbon dioxide.

OP needs to concentrate on her breathing. Yrs, may have to practice holding the rope for a bit until the new way becomes second nature.

I have had similar issues, mine were because the importance of deco stops and safety stops was so ingrained that I feared screwing up and hurting myself. At first I learned that once at the safety stop and stable I changed my thought process from safety stop and watching time to what happened on the dive, what did I see, how do I feel, anything but looking at a timer and worrying about depth. You will find that those creep in and you look, but your mind is not fixated anymore, the anxiety drops. Second, and this was a bit more expensive, I got a computer that provide Surface GF. This often tells me that the safety stop is not necessary and I am OK to surface, however, I still complete the stop. However, knowing that it is not as critical to my health has helped with that anxiety. Since 90% of my dives are relatively shallow and strictly recreational, most of my safety stops are not required to drop my Surface GF, but rather only to improve the surface GF. Those who are reading and want to say that the safety stop is never required, I know, but training has instilled that it is more important than optional. This does and can cause anxiety in some divers. We can all agree that they should be done unless a reason to skip takes precedence, like low gas.

Hi @dismith

As pointed out, this thread is about 2 1/2 years old. I noticed that you posted on SB a little over a month ago. How did this problem work out for you?

This isn’t diving related but I suffered from moderate-seeious anxiety for a couple of years which also seemingly just started out of the blue after never having experienced anxiety before. Never figured out what triggered it, never figured out what eventually made it stop. Our knowledge of human psychology is incredibly limited.

What I can say is that what helped me learn to manage it a lot better when I had it is just recognising that what I am feeling at the moment is just anxiety which is completely harmless physically at least. If you’re not used to it then the anxiety about having anxiety itself is often worse than whatever is causing it in the first place, and once you cut that part out it’s still uncomfortable but much easier to manage. Part of it was reading up on anxiety itself and the science behind it and part of it is just over time you get used to the feeling so it becomes “damn it’s my anxiety again that sucks” followed by “oh! That’s a pretty fish!” Instead of ‘OH NO WHAT IS HAPPENING what is wrong with me why do I feel this way’ followed by panic attack

Back
Top Bottom