Any advice for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all - 16
:)

Give the guy some options.

You PSD guys are mud crawlers.. not REAL divers!

(hope you kow I'm kidding)

Give the poor new guy some options...

Randy43068:
all - 16
:)

Give the guy some options.

You PSD guys are mud crawlers.. not REAL divers!

(hope you kow I'm kidding)

Give the poor new guy some options...
It's all or none as far as gear changes go as our gear is mostly identical. We just stocked up on a couple of more Zeagles as they are the BC of choice. Are easy to handle tough as nails and everyone likes them.

MUD CRAWLERS? I don't think I've fathered any frogs lately. At least I don't think so. :D Besides we aren't always in the mud. Sometimes it Pooo. :D

Gary D.

Ive seen plenty of good divers in BCs and wings. Likewise ive seen plenty of horrible divers in BCs and wings.

That choice of kit says nothing about their ability in the water. Its a personal preference thing entirely.

Danboy,
Drysuit first. In a club environment this is the one thing you cannot borrow easily and it opens up diving to you. As a BSAC member you can get training from your Training Officer/DO.

Sites -Swanage pier, Dorset. 4m deep and good for practicing skills and seeing things. You've also got a wreck called the Fleur de Lys which is at about 14m which you can look at.

Choices of kit is often a personal decision but you might want to take a look at www.bitz.fsnet.co.uk for a different view of some equipment.

If there was one piece of equipment I would recommend over any other it is a well fitting drysuit - it's worth the time and effort to get one that fits perfectly and as importantly make sure it's a good quality one with a good quality undersuit.

i'd get some quality regulators first. rental regs bite and breathe like you're sucking air through a tiny straw...

drysuits are tough to figure out how to buy and what you need to care about. having your own certainly makes things easier, but gathering enough experience to know what to buy is probably the hardest purchase out there.

i'd second the recommendation for a BP/W, also DIN connectors on the regs and 7' long hose setup, then a suunto vyper for a computer.

I'd go with something decent for anything life-support. You can skimp on the rest (fins, bcd, etc.) for now until you figure out what you like. Or, you can rent and buy your gear top of the line as you go. Either way, if you fall in love with diving you'll end up sinking a ton of $$ into the sport, you might as well cut out some of the middle steps as you go. Your regulator and computer are things you should cut corners on though (especially the reg). There are plenty of great deals out there too, on the used market.

Check out my site for some gear reviews if you're interested. You can always email me with specific questions too :)

Thanks everyone

So far I have:
Fins, Mask, Snorkel

And i'm looking at getting a dry suit because I know British water isnt the best for warmth!
I will definately look at those sites you mentioned dbulmer... I'm not 100% sure which type of diving I like but wreck diving does sound cool thanks!

Most clubs should have regs and BCs to borrow initially (no doubt buddy commandos!) but theyre incredibly unlikely to have drysuits to loan out. Members themselves can loan you tanks or even spare regs at times so its best to join a club first, find out what they can/cant supply then go shopping.

Shops charge something like £25 a day for drysuit rental so it gets very expensive quickly. Thats why myself (and the other uk poster) suggested a drysuit first and foremost. Without sensible exposure protection your diving will be limited in time of year, duration of dives and limited in enjoyment. Get that sorted out first. The rest can wait.

i'm looking into BSAC clubs in my area at the moment so hopefully I can find quite a good one, I am looking at dry suits at the moment. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom