Any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pzyke

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I finally decided to take the next step and settle down into scuba diving. I managed to save up the money I needed and muster the guts of changing one life for another. Its quite the scary leap but off I go. Just wanted to ask a few details before making any definite choices such as purchasing gear / location vs weather and approach.

My aim is to someday live on my own boat. And I thought scuba diving was the industry that could be most compatible with that lifestyle so I gave it a shot, did my OW, AOW and Rescue Diver certification. I have to say being underwater is unbeleivably rewarding. And I have always been intrigued about discovery so tech diving is definitely catching my eye. Now for the Divemaster..

I have checked locations and prices all over the globe. I want to immerse myself in the scene, learn efficiently and professionally for future development. And the next time I get on the plane I dont plan on coming back, therefore.. being sure I will be able to get a job afterwards is very important. So far thailand is winning the cup. I dont mind any specific industry but hopefully something related to wreck/cave/deep/ice diving.. recognaisance etc. The only thing holding me back with thailand is that I heard that the rainy season ends in October. And its a long time to wait until October from now. Ive been looking at pictures from there and the water vis doesnt seem all that great right now. Any other locations that might be recommendable in the next few months that have a good scuba scene and a good chance of hiring?

And about gear.. I live in the chilean patagonia so I really dont have access to any scuba shop unless its by mail (closest one is probably 1000 km away or more). So I am guessing Its going to be best if I purchase my gear wherever I might be going.

Any suggesstions, pointers are more than welcome.

I have heard that Thailand has silly import duties on gear that hugely jacks up the cost, so buy before if you know what you want. Also, can you work legally there, and does the government care?

Others may know more than me about this, but if you want to run your own boat, one thing you might want to qualify for while still home in Chile might be a vessel captain's license of size and tonnage big enough for a passenger vessel of the size you're contemplating--lets say 25 or 50 gross registered tons? Or 100?.

Chile is signatory to all the major international maritime conventions, so a license from there may be sufficient on other countries, or they may issue you that country's license based on the one you hold, with less time and red tape than if you just showed up and tried to get one there.

I know nothing about what the requirements might be in Thailand, but they are not signatory to nearly as many of the IMO conventions as is Chile, look under "Status of Conventions" here:Status of Conventions

Most folks who make a living in scuba and run boats, will need some sort of recognized master's license to work in most countries. And if you end up working on someone else's boat, the same holds true. It makes you more employable, in addition to your scuba certifications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom