Any comparisons Nikon D3200/Oly OMD-EM5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts as to which system they would prefer to use. Obviously neither is 'cutting edge' tech but they're both more than decent for IQ at the sizes I would be printing/publishing. I've got a used EM5 body in hand and am working on getting at least a kit 14-42 vII (/R) to either keep it or sell as a bundle. I also have a D3200 coming in used as a gift with an 18-55 kit lens (non-VR). I currently shoot a D40 dryland but aside from kit lenses I only have a 35mm f/1.8 and an old micro-Nikkor 105 (manual everything). Basically, both bodies would be shot with a kit lens for now and the foreseeable future. Cost is a slight issue at the moment, but it doesn't seem like there's much supply of used housings for either so I think that's fairly balanced. I'm mostly just entering U/W photo (very comfortable diving in general) and would be ideally using the same body for shooting on land. I really like the small size of the Olympus and since there's the built-in EVF I think it would work just fine (I really dislike liveview for everyday shooting). Any thoughts on pros/cons for each would be great and thanks for your time. Cheers!

I would go with the EM5 and add the 60 macro and the 8 mm fisheye and appropriate ports. Small, and great IQ.
Bill

Can't speak for the em5, but feel free to check out my website, split-photography.com . All photos there taken with D3200, both over and underwater. And you will find info about lenses and gear i use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom