Any DCS Threat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grabby

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went on a 30 minute dive with the family today. Max depth of 30 feet, stopped at 15 feet for 3 minutes, then a slow ascent from there. On the short swim in I dropped a piece of hardware, an stupidly made a quick descent to 28 feet to retrieve it, came to 15 feet for 3 minutes then ascended slowly to the surface. My time between dives was maybe 3 minutes.

Any concerns about DCS?

No. Most planning tables start at 35ft and the NDL is many hours, if any (depending on GF used for calculation)

Not at all. Decompression sickness starts to become a concern past 30 feet/10 meters. Going to pick hardware was not stupid at all.
Some people would not even do a safety stop as your whole dive can be considered a safety stop. It did not hurt at all stopping but it probably did not do much either.

Agreed with above, you’re fine.

However, for those who come across this thread later, a “quick bounce” can be dangerous if done after a dive that is much closer to NDL than yours were. There have been people hurt going down to grab a boat anchor, fetch a weightbelt etc etc.

Again, this would apply to first dives waaaaay more aggressive than your situation.

Agreed with above, you’re fine.

However, for those who come across this thread later, a “quick bounce” can be dangerous if done after a dive that is much closer to NDL than yours were. There have been people hurt going down to grab a boat anchor, fetch a weightbelt etc etc.

Again, this would apply to first dives waaaaay more aggressive than your situation.

I got bent doing this. Much longer and deeper dive and dropped my GoPro in 40fsw as I was getting back on the boat. I went back after it and my ascent was quicker than it should have been. The GoPro ended up flooded, the impact on the bottom must have allowed water in. I faired much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom