Any DIR folks that dive Lake Jocassee in Salem, SC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Any DIR folks that dive Lake Jocassee in Salem, SC? Looking for some DIR folks that are a bit farther down the road and learning curve than I currently am.

Anyone have plans to dive around these parts?

Now, this is the best post I've seen in this forum in months.

I'm lucky to be out in the Monterey area, but were I in SC, I'd be more than happy to dive with you and share the "real" DIR experience: awareness of your team, environment, and equipment.

And most importantly: Remembering to have fun!

Can anyone help USBB out?

Thanks for the support rainman 02. Some of the boys from California are calling my little band the DIR Dive Divas! I kind of like the sound of it, but the boys are more than welcome to join us. We would be glad to add Dive Dudes on the end of the tag.

Right now we are 3 gals moving toward DIR. DIR folks from other areas of the country have provided me with many great resources to read. I have pretty good reading comprehension and have employed what I am able to at this point. Some other folks have let me have access to some DIR videos. I have also had many DIR help me configure my gear via lots of PM’s, emails, pictures, and video clips. Have also had several folks film themselves to demonstrate things and send me the clips.

It has all been very helpful, but I would really like to get in the water with some folks that are much farther down the road than I am. My regular dive buddy is willing to incorporate what I learn and the system of diving makes sense to her.

With all that being said, right now it is like the blind leading the blind. We are moving along—but it is bumpy and not the least bit graceful! We are moving in the right direction. I am doing the best I can with my very limited knowledge and experience.

I am some where between 60 and 70 dives. This is my second season diving. It was toward the end of last season that I became aware of DIR and someone began to mentor me via the Internet on the merits of the system and the thought process behind that.

I rented jacket gear for my first season. When I purchased gear over the winter, I was able to purchase gear that is DIR compliant for the most part. My dive buddy had been having a lot of gear issues, so we did a pool dive. I put her in my rig and dove her jacket gear. That was all it took to move her to the dark side. Her new gear should be here soon and we will be at the lake fine-tuning it.

Our 3rd gal is a newly certified diver with a DIR brother (he lives in CA) who is hooking her up with a nice Halcyon rig.

At this point we all believe DIR is the way to go and see how the system makes sense and like it total approach to diving.

I know there are some other people who would like to join in with us that are noobs, but until I learn a little more and am more secure and proficient in my skills, ability and knowledge base I am hesitant to expand.

Thanks,
Leah

Hi Leah, so nice to hear about you and your "Divas" out doing some diving:D
Hopefully you'll find the help up there that you need. I travelled from 0 miles to 200 in order to dive with more experienced people, I'm in the south fl. area if you want to get together for an after work dive:11doh: "Light hearted humor"
Looking on the brighter side, just think that when you polish off the skills and advance you'll be the core group in your area!!!
Henry

FLDVR, thanks for the invitation! I really appreciate it. I have had DIR folks form all over the county invite me to come dive with them and I hope to do that one day.

I really want to get a core group going and then add others along the way who want to learn. I am hoping at some point that we can do a fundies class here. In the mean time, I would like to find some folks that are willing to spend some time with some noobs to give us more kool-aide!

One way or another we will have a DIR at Jocassee!! It may take a long time, but it will happen. Ask any guy--when a woman gets something in her head ther is no reasoning with her!

Hi leah. I'd be happy to drive over to SC to dive with y'all. I'll see what I can work into my schedule.
Brent

Thanks Brent! One thing I can tell you that we are "Doing Right" is the food spread we put out at the ramp! No one can say we are doing that "wrong"!

I have company coming in from September 1-11 and can dive any weekend after that. Let me know what works for you. I would love to hit the water with you and have you show me the ropes.

Can you tell me a little about yourself and your diving experience?

Well...let's see- Last January I made the switch to a hogarthian gear configuration and vowed to myself that I would take this DIR thing as far as possible. It's the best thing that could have ever happened to my diving.

Some of my skills are pretty solid and some are still laughable but I work on them every week and I'm making progress.

Most of my diving is in Lakes and quarrys here in GA and on up into TN. I've had the pleasure of diving with the Middle Tenneessee DIR Group (a great bunch of people).
I'm a member of the DIR Atlanta Group but due to schedule conflicts I havent had a chance to dive with them this summer.

I met Jim from the Atlanta group last summer. He seems like a really sharp guy. I met him just a couple weeks after I became interested in DIR. He was pretty amazing to watch in the water. I think that was my last dive in jacket gear.

I haven't seen anyone from that group at the lake this summer when I have been out there.

I might just have to get out my wet notes and stand on the ramp and question all compliant looking divers as they enter the water! LOL

Did you come to one of the DIR Atlanta meetings? If you did- then I think we've met.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom