Any disadvantages of a light BCD/Wing (XDEEP GHOST)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All true about AL density and the effectiveness of it as ballast. However, think about it, how much Al is there to begin with. An Al plate is about 2lb, less than 1KG. Remove it all to gain less than 0.3KG (0.6lb) of total weight while maintaining same ballast. Hardly noticeably.

When you need ballast, Al is the wrong plate to use to begin with. When you don't need ballast, it is hard to beat Al for the cost vs effectiveness. Other options are Kydex or CF I guess.

^^ ding ding, the different plates are chosen based on ballast requirements. 4lbs isn't a lot and you can compensate by strategic packing. I.e. put your regulator set in your carryon since it weighs about as much as a steel backplate setup

It depends on how you travel.

If you like me carry things in a backpack, walk, ride motorbike and bus between different locations, 2kg(~4lbs) is a big difference. In my last trip I had about 10kg(~20lbs) in total weight when i left my home.

If the only limitation is what airline lets you, its a different story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom