Any diving near Chennai, India?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I may get to travel to Chennai, India on business and thought I might hold over for a few days since India is one place I've always wanted to see some of. Then I noticed Chennai is right on the coast...so...anyone know if there is any diving in the area?

Thanks!

Mike

Not in Chennai per se - due to heavy silt runoff from the rivers, most of the waters off the coast of India are quite silty and dont have too much coral growth.

However, if you are in Chennai, the Andamans are a 2 hour flight away... we have a dive center there, in case you are interested. It ain't the Carribbean, in terms of commercial development, but it is, in my biased opinion, a gorgeous place to visit (and the diving is pretty damned good as well, if I may say so myself).

We have a dive center there. Rather than shamelessly plug away online, check out my sig - info on planning your trip, diving, etc. is all in there.

Vandit

What is the cost of the flight (roundtrip)?

I was in Mumbai 2 weeks ago. No one would want to dive there but the Maldives Islands are not too far off the southern coast line. Maybe an inch on the map. (grin) Next time I'm over that way I'm thinking about a trip there.

I'm not familiar with the Andamans. They may be just as good but from what I've heard the Maldives are great.

Google "Maldives Diving" and you'll learn a lot. I don't know how long the flight would be from Chennai.

Only problem with going there, for me anyway, is if my wife didn't get to go she might not ever forgive me.

BTW: If you dive Chennai be sure to let us know. how it is.

mikerault:
I may get to travel to Chennai, India on business and thought I might hold over for a few days since India is one place I've always wanted to see some of. Then I noticed Chennai is right on the coast...so...anyone know if there is any diving in the area?

Thanks!

Mike

I was in Chennai on business i february and I booked flights to the Maldives via Sri lankan Airlines. It is only a couple hours away and It is really realy worth the try.
There are a lot of resorts in the Maldives covering all ranges in cost.

A little late, but for others for the future, try Temple Adventure Scuba Diving and Surfing India

Dives are out of South Chennai and Pondicherry, depending on the time of year.

The best dives are the natural reefs from 23M at Pondy. Some vids on you tube to see i think.

A good dive club in Pondy also

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom