Diving spots in/near Washington State

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And hopefully it’s not too chilly in October, when I plan on going. I might take a dry suit course.
October is my favorite month to teach open water due to the compromise of air temp and viz. Don't want students cooking in their dry suits on shore yet don't want them freezing either. Viz tends to be pretty good, not peak, but very good. I'll be back in town by then, so I might be up for a dive and can loan you a fair bit of gear if need be.

October is my favorite month to teach open water due to the compromise of air temp and viz. Don't want students cooking in their dry suits on shore yet don't want them freezing either. Viz tends to be pretty good, not peak, but very good. I'll be back in town by then, so I might be up for a dive and can loan you a fair bit of gear if need be.
Okay, cool! I’d just like to see further than directly in front of my face LOL.

And yeah, if you’re up to it, I’ll be in WA by Oct 21st. Probably wouldn’t dive until the 22nd since I’ll be exhausted, but will let ya know if I can swing a dive or two the first day.

Don't let the water temp worry you. I dive a 7mm semi-dry year round in the Sound. A semi-dry is just a wetsuit with wrist and ankle seals to reduce flushing. Cold surface interval gets me more than water temp. October is a great time to dive in the sound as wetb4igetinthewater said. I would be happy to dive with you, but I might be out due to shoulder surgery depending on your arrival date. I also suggest Redondo beach in Des Moines, Sund Rock, Edmonds UW Park. I would also throw in Mukilteo T-dock as good all-around dive sites for new divers. Muk can be current sensitive but easy to manage. Look at PlanYourDive.com, a local website that gives dive site descriptions, viz reports, and local tide/current information. Shoot me a DM when you determine your arrival date. Where are you planning to stay while in town? This will help us recommend dive sites close to where you are staying.

I travel from east of the mountains to dive as I live in Ellensburg Wa. I don't suggest driving the pass after diving the same day. First, it is not worth risking DCS, second the pass has its own challenges and I don't like driving it tired or after a long day. So, I tend to dive on Saturday and drive home on Sunday.

Steel tanks are the norm with size depending on consumption rate. There are a few AL80s around but most dive steel.

Don't let the water temp worry you. I dive a 7mm semi-dry year round in the Sound. A semi-dry is just a wetsuit with wrist and ankle seals to reduce flushing. Cold surface interval gets me more than water temp. October is a great time to dive in the sound as wetb4igetinthewater said. I would be happy to dive with you, but I might be out due to shoulder surgery depending on your arrival date. I also suggest Redondo beach in Des Moines, Sund Rock, Edmonds UW Park. I would also throw in Mukilteo T-dock as good all-around dive sites for new divers. Muk can be current sensitive but easy to manage. Look at PlanYourDive.com, a local website that gives dive site descriptions, viz reports, and local tide/current information. Shoot me a DM when you determine your arrival date. Where are you planning to stay while in town? This will help us recommend dive sites close to where you are staying.
Okay! It’ll be either the 21st or 22nd of October. I’m staying with my friend and her family in Port Susan.
I travel from east of the mountains to dive as I live in Ellensburg Wa. I don't suggest driving the pass after diving the same day. First, it is not worth risking DCS, second the pass has its own challenges and I don't like driving it tired or after a long day. So, I tend to dive on Saturday and drive home on Sunday.

Steel tanks are the norm with size depending on consumption rate. There are a few AL80s around but most dive steel.
Aw, I love mountain passes lol. They look so pretty and I’m definitely going to get awesome pictures. Guess the pictures can wait- the mountains aren’t going anywhere:)

Okay! It’ll be either the 21st or 22nd of October. I’m staying with my friend and her family in Port Susan.

Aw, I love mountain passes lol. They look so pretty and I’m definitely going to get awesome pictures. Guess the pictures can wait- the mountains aren’t going anywhere:)
October is peak fall color for larch on the mountains. I recommend Carne Basin above Lake Wenatchee.

I haven't been north of Mukilteo to recommend dive sites up that way, but have heard there are several. Mukilteo T-dock is my favorite north Seattle site and the closest to where you will be staying of those I recommended.

The Larch trees turn a different color in fall and makes for great photos on the eastern slopes of the Cascades. There are several great Larch hikes that folks use to photo the Larch trees.

I am hoping to have surgery before your arrival, so I won't be diving, but willing to help with locations or ? if needed. I hope you enjoy your trip to some of the best diving in the US.

October is peak fall color for larch on the mountains. I recommend Carne Basin above Lake Wenatchee.
thanks! will definitely have to make a stop there.
I haven't been north of Mukilteo to recommend dive sites up that way, but have heard there are several. Mukilteo T-dock is my favorite north Seattle site and the closest to where you will be staying of those I recommended.
ooh okay! what's it like? (visibility, temp, what you see)
The Larch trees turn a different color in fall and makes for great photos on the eastern slopes of the Cascades. There are several great Larch hikes that folks use to photo the Larch trees.

I am hoping to have surgery before your arrival, so I won't be diving, but willing to help with locations or ? if needed. I hope you enjoy your trip to some of the best diving in the US.
good luck with your surgery! I hope everything goes smoothly.
I'll definitely look up what the best trails are.

thanks for the info, both of you!:)

can you still see them in late October, like the 22nd? it seems like it's only until early October. oh well

can you still see them in late October, like the 22nd? it seems like it's only until early October. oh well
It really depends on the weather, sometimes you can see them into November, but sometimes they are gone by mid October. I believe it is worth the hike, might not see as many but hey it is still a beautiful hike regardless.

Mukilteo T-dock has the usual suspects, ling cod, rat fish, wolf eel, nudibranches, and several structures to explore. There is a map at the top of the entrance stairs, so familiarize yourself and enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom