Any downsides or upsides of OW qual in a quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Da5Id

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to the classroom portion of PADI OW training on July 19th locally. I really want to fly to Florida and do the OW and AOW back to back shortly after I get through the class portion of OW. Due to work obligations, it may take a month or so to arrange a time that I can take off to do this. I'm excited about getting this process started. So, is there any disadvantage (or advantage) to taking the OW portion in a local quarry and then going to Florida a few weeks or month later to complete the AOW training?

I know that the basic skills will be taught and practiced either way, but the thought of getting my OW cert in a cold/dark lake with no sealife and maybe not much sense of adventure doesn't seem as appealing. At the same time, maybe it doesn't matter at all from a functional and solid training standpoint??

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Perhaps I'm being too anxious instead of just taking the time and waiting to head to Florida? Of course doing it locally will be less expensive, but that's generally not very important to me.

Thoughts??

Steve

The biggest advantage to finishing your certification in the local quarry is you've dived locally and will likely continue to dive locally. As a result, you will stay in practice and are more likely to remain a diver. Most folks stop diving fairly soon after starting. The disadvantage of having no ocean experience can easily be corrected next month on your trip. I highly recommend completing your check out dives close to home.

I too had some reservation before my OW cert dives in a local quarry. However even during the first dive I was very surprised and enjoyed it.

Just completed my OW past weekend. Going on my first AOW dive tonight (night dive).

Be sure to get certified in the most demanding conditions you see coming at you as a novice. Ideally this would be the ocean on the mid Atlantic cost. Cold water brings with it exposure protection that needs to be part of your skill building along with the potential for limited visibility. Waves and surf are also things to recon with and there are do's and don'ts that you don't necessarily want to be figuring out on the fly.

It is much easier and safer to subsequently dive in more favorable conditions than it is to discover them in an uncontrolled situation.

The local quarry would be favorable to Florida springs but it would not entirely prepare you for the Florida ocean experience.

The other thing is to communicate your gaps to your buddy or dive master. If it will be your first time in the ocean from shore or boat be sure they know.

Certification dives are not about sightseeing and excitement, they are about preparedness. Make that the priority. You will have a lifetime of wonder and excitement waiting for you.

Pete

While your plans may be to primarily dive in warm, clear waters, you are not likely to ever gain proficiency in the basics ( the point of AOW ) without diving locally ( unless you travel a lot & dive while travelling ). Then there's the issue of maintaining that proficiency.
If you dive locally, you'll handle the Floridian diving much better. The "boot camp principle" is a valid model ; if you can handle chilly water with relatively poor visibility, you can handle the less-stressful waters.
Learning the most basic aspects of diving ( OW ) is really great ! Learning to be a safer, more-aware and more-skilled diver ( the point of AOW ) is wise. You would find that practicing locally would accelerate your learning.

I missed it first pass but there is plenty of debate on doing OW and AOW back to back as you plan. I fall into the cam of getting 1-2 dozen dives in between. A quick search will offer more thoughts.

Pete

Do the certs at home for all the reasons stated above. While the quarry is not as fun as Fla, diving cold, dark shallow areas of a quarry will do much more for you diving skills than a shallow reef. Once you get your cert, then head to Fla to do some "real" diving and as a reward for passing.
I'm with Pete on the AOW, get in a few dozen dives before doing AOW and remember, taking AOW does not make you an advanced diver, it just means you have been exposed to a few more dives with an instructor and gain a little more knowledge. Becoming as advanced diver takes both training and a lot of experience in different enviroments.

And if you are doing an AOW course make sure it's one where you actually learn something and not just take a tour. An Advanced course should have you actually performing what could be considered advanced skills and giving you advanced knowledge. I also require my students to get a minimum of 10 dives in before I'll alow them to take my AOW course. If I don't know the student I require an interview and perhaps a pool session and a couple dives in a local quarry to see if they are indeed ready for AOW. If you do not have your buoyancy somewhat dialed in, your weighting pretty close, and cannot do your skills in a horizontal position then we need to work on that before I'll allow you to take an AOW course that I teach.

My wife and I just did our OW dives in a quarry.

Very warm and comfortable for the first 20'...and starts getting COLD after that.

Also viz was anywhere from 20'-5'.

At first I was a little irritated, I wanted the "Florida" thing too, but instead I know realize I had a GREAT OW cert experience. We learned a lot about navigation (How the hell did I end up out in the middle of the quarry!?), really learned how to stay close to your buddy (Honey, hold my hand. LOL) and got to play with some VERY friendly fish (I guess they get lonely stuck in a quarry).

I really enjoyed the quarry and will be going back for more "local" (3 hour drive) training.

Do you see yourself ever wanting to dive locally after the certifications? ask yourself honestly that question.

AFA OW/AOW back to back . . . PADI AOW is a bit of a joke so if you can get a deal on it strike while the iron is hot as they say :)

Back
Top Bottom