Any downsides or upsides of OW qual in a quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MY AOW dive guidelines in addition to 6-8 hours of classroom covering gas management(including SAC rates, 1/3rds, 1/6ths, rock bottom, and advanced dive planning), deco procedures, night/low vis techniques, hazards of advanced dives, navigation techniques, search and recovery techniques, buddy rescue and assistance, communication, and a review of basic dive physics and physiology for those who need or want it.

AOW DIVE GUIDELINES

1. Advanced Skills Dive- This dive is used to enhance the OW divers skills by reinforcing and improving basic skills as well as introduce the following new ones:
A: Anti-silting kicking techniques consisting of frog and/or modified frog kicks, helicopter turns, and back kicks.
B: Performing basic skills while swimming and hovering including mask removal and replace, regulator retrieval, weight removal and replacement, and sharing air.
C: Shooting a lift bag or SMB to assist in ascents.
D: Deployment of redundant air supply(pony bottle)
E: Reinforcing proper weighting and trim.

These skills are best done in relatively shallow water (25-30 feet ), and should be demonstrated by the instructor as with any other class. The bag shoot can be demo’ed and then performed by the student on a subsequent dive.

2. Underwater Navigation- This dive is used as a follow up to the basic compass skills as performed during the OW checkouts. In addition to the basic patterns of a square and triangle a multi leg course is selected as well. We repeat the patterns but I also have the student select an object on the bottom to use a reference at each turn. This small exercise in combined compass and natural navigation is used to illustrate the increased accuracy of this method and hopefully interest the student in further Navigation training. The following skills are evaluated.
A: Holding the compass properly
B: Maintaining horizontal trim
C: Maintaining position in the water column
D: Buddy awareness and communication
E: Accuracy
F: Attention to detail and selection of landmarks for natural navigation
G: Measuring distance through kicks, time, air consumption, or a line
H: Navigating patterns of increasing size- Square, Triangle, Multi Leg course
I: Navigating using compass and selected landmarks

3. Search and Recovery- This dive introduces students to basic underwater search patterns and recovery techniques. It is made clear that this is not a public safety course but an introduction to the use of basic patterns to locate lost objects of small size. The techniques and tools are suitable for locating things like fishing rods, boat motors, wallets, and other such items. The lift bags used should not exceed 100lb capacity and smaller ones are preferred. 25-50 lbs is an ideal size for lifting an object such as a concrete block or bucket filled with weight. The use of a reel and line is also required for this dive to execute a circular pattern, grid, or as insurance should visibility be reduced by natural conditions or the actions of the searchers.
These skills are used in this dive:
A: Buoyancy control
B: Selection of search pattern based on object size, approximate location, environmental conditions
C: Attention to terrain detail
D: Maintaining trim and buoyancy while conducting a slow search using good anti-silting techniques
E: Securing object to be lifted
F: Lift bag use – raise object at even rate, achieve neutral buoyancy with the bag, bring object to surface and return to original location
G: Note position of located object using compass and distance measurement to simulate having to return to site with more resources

4. Night/ Low Visibility- This dive is used to familiarize the student with the fascinating world of diving without natural light. The use of dive lights, strobes, markers, and new methods of communicating with the dive buddy are introduced. Night diving, while fun, presents new challenges and risks. The instructor needs to make absolutely sure the divers know the plan. They also receive a thorough site briefing and know the procedures should the team or group become separated. The following skills are practiced and evaluated.
B: Light use and selection
C: Use of strobe or marker to mark the anchor or down line
D: Buddy contact and communication
E: Lost diver procedures
F: Navigation
G: Site choice

5. Deep Dive- The deep dive is one of the primary reasons that divers take the AOW course. They wish to do dives exceeding the recommended OW limit of 60 feet. Whether it be a wreck, wall, or reef there is usually some reason for them to get a card that will demonstrate to a resort or boat operation that they are qualified to do the dive. Unfortunately this is usually the dive that also presents the most risk to the diver. Increased air usage demands a better understanding of management of the air supply. When doing this dive they may also be coming closer to the No Decompression Limits much faster than they realize. More attention to depth and times must be impressed upon them. Many will elect to begin looking at redundant air sources such as pony bottles. This is an area I cover as well to be sure they get the proper equipment and know how to use it. And it goes without saying that we need to again make them aware of the effects of nitrogen narcosis. Skills evaluated would be:
B: Horizontal descent and ascent
C: Maintaining rate of descent
D: Situational Awareness via tests to judge effects of narcosis
E: Communication
F: Management of air supply
G: Ascent utilizing deep stops
H: Actual Deployment of Redundant Air Supply

These 5 dives make up the core of the AOW program that I teach. The Deep, UW Nav, and Night/Low Visibility, and Advanced Skills are not optional. If I were teaching the Advanced Plus course the number of dives will double as will classroom. I also will throw in rescue scenarios on any dive such as unconscious diver from depth, tows, and leading a maskless diver to the surface safely while sharing air.

Thanks for all the advice to everyone that posted. I went by the LDS today and signed up for OW in Hyde's Quarry in Maryland two weeks after I finish the pool/land portion. I spoke to the owner of the shop for the first time today as well as the lovely lady who has assisted me there with my decision making process to date. The owner mentioned that as long as I don't mind cold water and relatively low vis, that the quarry challenges will be good training for me. The young lady who has helped me at the LDS so far said that she thinks she is going to be my instructor for the pool portion and may volunteer to instruct for the quarry training (and damn it, she's married).

This Sunday there's a BBQ and dive event at the quarry sponsored by the LDS and I'm going to hang out. She said that she might be able to sneak me in for a practice dive! Also, the owner is bringing some fins for me to try out (Twin Jets, Slingshots and maybe some Mares). So, at a minimum I'll do some snorkeling and try some fins.

My intention is to dive for a while in the quarry to get some good experience and then still head to warm water for AOW in the relatively near future.

Woo Hoo!!

Steve

I actually did more than the 1-2 dozen dives. I waited til I had over 70 before starting my AOW. I am also one that learned to dive in my local conditions of cool to cold and low viz water. When I go someplace warm and great viz it is a lot easier as some have said. I still realize that I have no experience in currents or surf but that will come with time.

I just looked, my first AOW dive was #47. I also checked and I did about 20 dives over 60ft prior to that. (5 over 80, 2 over 90) Two "night" dives, and learned a decent bit about navigation from the guys I normally dive with. ( I still can't navigate myself out of a paper bag!) My one buddy had been giving me tips for the peak buoyancy part (breath control) Having said that, when I DID do the AOW part, I did it ONLY to get the card because there are apparently places that won't talk to you without it if you want particular dives. I didn't feel that I learned much from the course (in fact, the instructor knew I had been to some of the deeper parts of the quarry already, and sent me and my buddy ...a DM in training... down the line first to do my "deep skills" then had me lead to the deeper part and sent me back up the line last...it was a tad anti-climactic since I was just at that "attraction" the Wednesday night before) However, I would have rather taken either Jim or Walter's versions of "advanced". But that was all I had available to take. :idk:

To the OP, good to see that you are going through with the quarry dives, I'm sure that you'll thank yourself in the long run for going that route! Dive more is all I can say! Btw..where's Hyde's Quarry? Is it a public diving area?

Hmm if you're in MD you could always do your checkout dives at Ocean City. Pretty fun spot

Back
Top Bottom