Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Split fins, sidemount gear, torch with cheap rivet that leaked, knife,Aeris computer “orphaned”by manufacturer, underwater slate, dive alert quacker

This list is depressingly long. There’s more, but I’ll stop here.

They’re also at least 40€ more.

Why do all the really experienced/technical divers have brass and glass then?

If they are really experienced, that probably means they've been doing it a long time. So, maybe because they are using what was the best tech available at the time they learned/started and they have simply stuck with it?

If they are really experienced, that probably means they've been doing it a long time. So, maybe because they are using what was the best tech available at the time they learned/started and they have simply stuck with it?
No they have the most up to date gear and procedures and are highly skilled in the water and are by no means in the past.

The dive knife. Huge waste of money

The dive knife. Huge waste of money

I use mine to make PB&J sandwiches during surface intervals, or to cut fruit and cheese.

My biggest waste of money on gear was my Scubapro Everdry 4 drysuit. I can't seem to get the neck seal properly seated consistently. Even when I think I have it right it sometimes ends up leaking. This past weekend that resulted in me getting completely soaked on my first dive. I changed long underwear and then the damn thing leaked again on the second dive. No third dive for me that day :(

I'm getting a trilam suit with latex or silicone seals next season. I hate that damn Everdry.

I bought top-of-the line Scubapro stuff from the start, and it's lasted 30 years and hundreds of dives. My biggest 1980s mistake was getting an Orca Delphi computer, one of the first AI units. It was expensive, huge, heavy, and quickly became unreliable. The 9Volt battery connector started breaking, and was practically impossible to repair. I recently decided to upgrade my BC, Regs, and computer, again all Scubapro. Boy, the prices have quadrupled since '88!

oh, I recalled one more puchase I regret: the big Tusa black mesh backpack. This bullwaste keeps tearing everywhere, and zipper runners keep disconnecting from one side of the zip. my gear weights about 20kg wet and about 15kg dry, so this backpack is not suitable for weight higher than 15kg.

Tusa mesh backpack
I have found out that there are several different models of backpacks from Tusa. so, this particular model sucks:

mbp-1_main_large.jpg

The only thing I regret is not buying what I wanted the first time. “I’m too new” ended up not being a good excuse, and whenever it seemed expensive, it always ended up even more expensive buying something else first.

The only thing I regret is not buying what I wanted the first time. “I’m too new” ended up not being a good excuse, and whenever it seemed expensive, it always ended up even more expensive buying something else first.
Thank you for this nudge, I still have time to trade up the last new thing I bought that was not quite what i wanted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom