Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know something, I am wanting to get a go pro camera and mount it to my helmet and that way I can record some dives. I would really like to share what we do and I know this is the only way I can get my wife to experience what it is like for what we do. I did shoot some video with a cheap camera but it isn't too clear.

What is your guys' thoughts on this? I would not shoot video on the surface were we enter into the water because I do not want to give away a potential hot spot to anyone else. Heck, Lee will tell you we have been working a spot on the Edisto that we found was it last year Lee or the year before? it is where his Mastodon tooth came from and we have pulled tons of teeth out of there with no sign of letting up.

Some shots of my helmet. I first purchased a wake board helmet that is made especially for the water. I next went to the surplus store and replaced the chin strap with a military chin strap and then I added the flex line and the Dorcy 220 lumen lights. This helmet works really great and gives me a true hands free envirnment.

helmet10.jpg

helmet8.jpg

helmet2.jpg

helmet1.jpg

helmet7.jpg

helmet6.jpg

helmet5.jpg

helmet4.jpg

helmet3.jpg

Speaking of Angy's, how about this for a shamer of a tooth. a partial massive Angy and even this piece measure over 4". Imagine how big the tooth was whole.

I really want to learn how to restore these teeth. I have been doing research but I cannot find anywhere, where i can learn to become a "Paleo-dontist" LOL
SAM_0944.jpg

SAM_0945.jpg

Ever see an Angy stand on its root? this is the only one in my collection that can and I love the chocolate color of the teeth that usually come out of the Edisto river
SAM_0953.jpg

SAM_0954.jpg

mailgooglecom.jpg

I do not have a complete Great White tooth yet and this is my biggest GW tooth in my collection. I found it is a creek in Summerville before the new law. I want a GW with full root damnit~!!!!!! LOL
SAM_0952.jpg

Remember that whale vert in the pics in a previous post? well here it is when I finished cleaning all the barnacles off of it and it was getting ready to go into the drying phase before displaying it. It gives you a sense of its size.
SAM_0963.jpg

SAM_0960.jpg

SAM_0962.jpg

Arguably the best tooth in my collection. This is a butter yellow hemipristis tooth. This is a massive 2" tooth with super sharp serrations, definitely museum quality.
DSC_0402800x600.jpg

Another big Hemi
DSC_0401800x600.jpg

I'll post more as I find them, lol

especially after Phill and I went diving into the Edisto on New Years Eve in 50 degree water, that was coldddddddd.

Hello Mike... Are you speaking of New years 2011/2012? Is Phil is back in the water?

I told Sally about the dredge pile. She told me she would park her 30' Island Hopper over the site, if we want to dive it.

Mike I see yours an aerospace engineer.....whats everyone else do for a living....tony?....Lee?....Me and my dad own and operate a swimming pool company here in TN

living? income? .... i do aircraft fueling automation, and my company supplies avionics, and security services, to people like AeroMike. (mike is saying "OH" about now)

Last edited:
Heck, Lee will tell you we have been working a spot on the Edisto that we found was it last year Lee or the year before? it is where his Mastodon tooth came from and we have pulled tons of teeth out of there with no sign of letting up.

It was last season (2011) Mike, that we worked that site. My suspicion is Phil will head back to it or locations near by, this season. As my hair gets grayer and grayer I am more giving in regards to making public my fossiling spots. I want the new and younger guys to have the information. Most of the sites I make public are already well known and they have already been published many years ago, BUT I do not give location information on sites that others (like Phil, Eberlein, yourself, etc) prefer to keep confidential.

Mike my personal perspective of that Edisto river site we worked was that it was a simple fun site to spend an afternoon at. The sand on the bottom was warm and friendly, the viz was reasonable, the current was not too bad, about 20 feet in front of the bed you were laying in was LARGE GRAVEL and LOTS of it, there were no hungry or territorial creatures on the attack, the water was shallow, and the company was excellent.

Mike I am going to the Cypress Gardens fossil show this month (the 18th), if you want me to swing by and pick you up, just throw up a flag

found this little gem that day
100_8622.jpg

Last edited:
ps:

in my opinion the Go Pro is a green light. heard a wee bit of negative when if first hit the market but LOTS of positive notes since then

great bottle posting Mike. thanks. love those old bottles. in case you do not know it, Phil is a bottle FREAK

Oh yeah, I seen Phill's collection when I went out to his house to see how he was doing.

We (son and I) are heading out to the fossil show so we'll see ya there~!

Yeah, it was this past New Years Eve Lee, Phill said he was itching to get back into the water after the doctor cleared him so I was just crazy enough to go with him. We boiled river water and dumped it down our wetsuits between dives. We went to the spot you and I went to that wasn't deep but a fast current. We were finding teeth once we fanned into the sand and went to the marl bottom.

The only negative I have read about with diving and the go pro is you need to change out the curved lens to a flat lens and then you'll be good to go.

Lee, that sure is a nice tooth.

I was thinking back on the question that was asked if I sell teeth and I answered I do not and that is true but, I have been known to purchase teeth or trade teeth for ones I know I will never find. In one of the pics you see two Moroccan teeth and I purchased those because I do not think I will ever get to Morocco. I am still holding out that some day I will go to Peru and visit Machu Picchu and also made a trip to the desert to look for teeth with Roberto.

ya need to get with mud n rox on the go pro . He has one mounted to his helmet on every dive . He just upgraded to the go pro 2 and it works great .. Get him to post some of his vids .. The last one he posted wasnt the best cause the current was pretty strong and the weeds kept getting tangled on the vid camera . We will be doing our next diving on the last weekend of Feb. Hopefully it will be a long weekend so we can get in at least four tanks each .. Cant wait till spring so we can get out of these drysuits . Ill post some more pictures soon ..

Im diggin the idea of diving the dredge mound .. The offer still stands , will trade time on my boat for time on someone elses boat ..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom