Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee I,ve got some interest in diving the Cooper this weekend. he Edisto is receding but still too high. I,d be willing to try the Wando if we can get some interest in diving it. Tried to call mike . If interested give me a call/text.

Okay I am ready to go. If the stormy weather continues like it is (not much rain falling) the river level will continue to drop. The weather is threatening but not coming thru with much. All bark no bite so far. I need another tooth. Maybe a 3+ inch Angy or Ric. Brought back some photos and some GOOD memories from Venice/Englewood FL. It is so beautiful there. Easy diving. Met some good people.

Rick (boat capt) and Phil will be coming to SC in a few weeks. We need to show them how we do it here. We need to put them on some teeth.

100_1371_zps9fdc1123.jpg

100_1355_zpse7dfa05b.jpg

---------- Post added June 27th, 2013 at 08:40 PM ----------

WebmasterJ, the photo in posting #618. EXCELLENT! There are some nice teeth in that bunch.

---------- Post added June 28th, 2013 at 02:22 PM ----------

E temp approx. 82F no wetsuit reqd. Flow rate dropping like a rock. Lookout Angy's here I come

Had an absolutely wonderful day scuba fossiling. A motor that was in the mood to argue, a lost prop, a fast river, and a curious snake, failed to put a damper on the day. Found LOTS of sharks teeth! Three of us found about 100 specimens. Most were frags and pieces but about 15 or 20 were whole teeth. No excellent (large and pristine) finds today.

Last edited:
I went yesterday afternoon, the vis was a 1 to 1 1/2 feet. I didn't find much of anything just a few frags. A friend of mine found 2 nice points laying right next to each. How lucky can you get.
DSC00813.jpg

Water on the Edisto is almost back to 8ft :( and with more rain potentially on the way it does not look to great

Lee: I had to run over to Johns Island this morning and ran the back way Jedburg, Club house rd. and the small creeks are flowing out their banks. I would think the Edisto is doing the same. Are you and Phil hitting it this weekend or do you think no need?

Joe I am not committed at the moment. Phil said he was inclined to go this coming weekend but we have the 4th of July, family, and high(fast) water to accommodate. I really do not think the fast water is a problem as long as you dodge it. But then what we really want to do is get into the fast water paths where the dug-outs are. You can only do this when the water is low and slow. So in the meantime you have to find a curve in the river and dive in the area that is not the shortest path to the ocean. That is where you find the slowest water.

Last weekend we parked the boat on the slow side of the river and tied off to a tree limb. I could see that the water was much faster on the far side of the river. I took my claw with me just in case the water was fast. It snags the bottom when the water pushes you backwards. The water was only 10 feet deep and I landed on a glorious bottom of sand and gravel mix. I instantly knew it was a good spot. The water was not fast at all. In fact it was the perfect speed for moving away the fanned sand. I fanned and dug a bit, found a few specimens, and moved slowly towards the faster water. Before I got into the edge of the fast water I found a gravel bed with HUGE gravel. I started looking closely at the large pieces for Mammoth and Mastodon specimens. I then moved forward and back towards the slower edge of the river. I found a sanded gravel bed that had lots of frags and pieces (always a good indicator). Overall it was an excellent spot, with fairly good viz, and slow water. The depth was 10 feet. The online gauge was 6.5 feet

Hay Guys: I saw on the news last night at 11:00pm that DNR and Sheriff department wants everyone to stay off the Edisto River do to high waters. I guess we will just have to clean our equipment and wait. Have a good weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom