Any good diving in Punta Mita?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be in Punta Mita for a few nights in March... any good dive ops serving that area? Anything to see?

A few years ago I was at the somewhat nearby Las Marietas for one dive on a cruise ship stop--I thought the diving there was awful. There was nothing but a crushed coral bottom, a few arrow crabs, and visibility no better than a good day in the Pacific Northwest. If that is the best the area has to offer I'll just stay on the beach. :)

Thanks if you have any leads for me! I'm hoping my one Las Marietas experience was not typical for the area.

I have never dove with an outfit in Punta Mita, but PADI's website does list one operator in town,
Punta Mita Expeditions. I am not sure what time of the year your cruise ship diving was, but I dove in April in Puerto Vallarta and the viz was pretty bad at the sites on the south side of the Bay of Banderas (Los Arcos and Majahuitas). As Punta Mita is on the north side of the Bay, it would seem unlikely that you would visit these sites. I believe the water runoff into the bay during the spring months churns up the water and results in bad viz. I have found the Marietas are typically better in the spring, with viz ~ 30 ft (possibly more). The conditions are not going to be as good as the Carribbean, but I typically enjoy diving in the Puerto Vallarta area. If you do get in the water, do let us know who you went with and how it was.​

Hi Matt,
I don't think there is a dive operation in Punta de Mita at the moment, butcheck it out. I have a dive operation located in Puerto Vallarta which isabout an hour away and like Earl, l also enjoy diving in Banderas Bay. Iwould say that it is seasonal though, mid winter the surface water temperaturecan be as low as 70degs and the viz can drop due to the plankton blooms. Generally this is on the surface though, so we can just drop under it,have a great dive and a very dull safety stop!! The upside to theseconditions is that it brings in the Humpback Whales. I never get bored ofseeing them on the way to our dive sites, breaching and showing off, it's a magnificentsite.
During the summer months, even though it's thewet season, the water gets warmer. Theplankton leaves (along with the humpback whales) and visibility improves. Islas Marietas and the other further out sites don't get affected by the mountainrun off and it's warm enough to dive without a wet suit. I would say diving in the summer, with 100ftViz is as good as the Caribbean. Marchis possibly on the cusp of the change, so maybe not what you are use to. As for what you can see, check out our pictures on facebookand get in touch if you need more information.
Regards
Marie
Diving Majahuitas 6th Jan 2012 | Facebook

I dove at the Mariettas Is, just off of Punta Mita, last year. Vis was poor and water somewhat cold. Visited this year Feb, and checked around ... again not good vis., so I did not bother. Apparently better off towards June I was told. but if you are ok with 20 -40 ft vis then go for it. didn't see much though last yr in Feb. So maybe March might be better. there is a dive shop in town .. seem pretty professional.

hi matt.
if you want to dive at the islands and your staying in punta de minta, you can go to the co op located there, look for all the panga style boats. there is dive service there. during the winter and spring is not vallartas diving season as like in the summmer, everyday can change one day beautiful and the next day not. the islands are a beautiful dive, it is true most dive shops are in vallarta, but you can find a boat and gear in punta de minta, just look for the little bay with all the boats. if you need more directions,drop me a line.

I'll be in Punta Mita for a few nights in March... any good dive ops serving that area? Anything to see?

A few years ago I was at the somewhat nearby Las Marietas for one dive on a cruise ship stop--I thought the diving there was awful. There was nothing but a crushed coral bottom, a few arrow crabs, and visibility no better than a good day in the Pacific Northwest. If that is the best the area has to offer I'll just stay on the beach. :)

Thanks if you have any leads for me! I'm hoping my one Las Marietas experience was not typical for the area.

Back
Top Bottom