Any good ice diving course in your area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know of dive shops in the MA, southern ME or upstate NY area that offer ice diving? I would love to hook up with some folks if anyone is doing their ice diving certification.

Rich Morin's in Glens Falls, NY offers what I think is a great ice class.
index
I took it a couple of years ago and have helped out as a safety diver a couple of times since. There's an evening of academics, usually Friday, and then setup and 2 dives on Saturday and 1 dive and packing up on Sunday. Rich usually schedules the course to coincide with the Lake George Winter Carnival, so there's other stuff to check out and often an interested crowd to chat with. I'd highly recommend giving them a call to see when they're scheduling class this winter.
Feel free to PM me if you'd like any more info.
Colin

I think it's the one out of Atkinson NH that is most organized in diving the lady of the Lake in Winnepisaukee.

Peet

Winnepisukee and the Thousand Islands are both great places to train in ice. Feb usually being the best months for solid ice, or whatever the prevailing weather conditions deemed safe enough (couple of feet thick). At the end of the day it's a memorable experience for students. Having a drysuit, dry gloves and a robust regulator all help.

In my experience in teaching the course - most find it fun, get the cert and never come back. Unless it's for an occupational need. It's just plain brutal on those days when the wind whips up on the lakes and freezes your 'tookus' off. :D

X

I agree that unless you are in a gropup that actively plans ice dives, has the equipment and works as a team it's a lot of work for a little diving. More often than not, been there, done that, got the T-short sort of thing. It was a very cool experieince but I'm not sure what would motivate me to do it again given current lack of local activity.

Pete

why funny you should ask!!!
we just happen to do ice courses up here!!!
usually in feb. and march
check in with blue fin diving on facebook or give me a call
pm me - we have a riot!!!!!
big boy panties are required, is is advanced ow cert.
we have girls diving wet,if that helps with your decission!!!!!
have fun
yaeg

why funny you should ask!!!
we just happen to do ice courses up here!!!
usually in feb. and march
check in with blue fin diving on facebook or give me a call
pm me - we have a riot!!!!!
big boy panties are required, is is advanced ow cert.
we have girls diving wet,if that helps with your decission!!!!!
have fun
yaeg

You guys do know how to kick it up a notch!

Back
Top Bottom