Any help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firefighter237

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey there everyone. Been diving for about 5 years now. Most of my diving is done in the north Atlantic meaning cold green water down to 130 feet. Would like to know if there is any recommendations for a fairly inexpensive setup to video my underwater experiances to share with friends and family. I know u usually get what you pay for but is there any setups out there for under $1000 being video camera and housing to get me started to see if I like it. Any thoughts and feedback would be much appreciated.

Robin thank you so much for your time and help.

Now in regards to those cameras, the flip ultra and JVC seemed to be in the $500 dollar market and then the Canon was twice that. Does that mean the Canon is twice the camera? Of the two cheaper ones, which one is better? The two cheaper ones look small, would they be difficult to operate with 5mil gloves? Any demo videos out there shot diving with any of those camers?

Lots of questions I know. I will continue to research them as well but any help or thoughts are much appreciated. Again thank you very much Robin for that information.

Sean

Robin thank you so much for your time and help.

Now in regards to those cameras, the flip ultra and JVC seemed to be in the $500 dollar market and then the Canon was twice that. Does that mean the Canon is twice the camera? Of the two cheaper ones, which one is better? The two cheaper ones look small, would they be difficult to operate with 5mil gloves? Any demo videos out there shot diving with any of those camers?

Lots of questions I know. I will continue to research them as well but any help or thoughts are much appreciated. Again thank you very much Robin for that information.

Sean

You are very welcome! :D

yes, the Canon is probably worth the extra money. It is a full camcorder with lots more options and also a lens that auto focuses on subject. The other two have a fixed focus so some shots may be out of focus. If you are shooting in low vis, the Canon may be searching in and out unable to focus on what you want though so there are good and bad points....

There are sample videos on Ikelites website for the Flip and JVC.
Ikelite Video Index
also, some on YouTube if you search "underwater Flip" or "underwater Picsio", I found a few interesting ones (most are crap though due to the person using them has no concept of good video). The videos on Ikelite website are done in pretty good vis, so keep that in mind, too.
Also, some here on Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/8450007

For the money, I think the Flip gets a bit higher rating than the JVC. I have seriously considered buying one of these just to try it out and compare to my current video rig. (my rig cost over $2k, and traveling with a full-size camcorder and housing is becoming an ordeal these days with the airlines!)

robin:D

Last edited:
Robin your awesome.

I did a little looking around as well after you got me pointed in the right direction. I did see those videos taken with the small video cameras and I was impressed. I also dont have alot to base that on though and I am just looking to have some fun and make some videos with and for friends without breaking the bank. I would be willing to add the wide angle lens and light. I also saw the Kodak Zi8 which seems to be the better reviewed camera and Ikelite has a housing coming out for it. Can you edit the videos shot on these little cameras and add music and subtitles?

Again thank you.
Sean

#1.... you will download it to your home computer and edit with software made for HD camcorders. I use Pinnacle Ultimate v12 but there are others that get good reviews, like Vegas and such. Prices are around $80-150 for decent software.
#2.....you need to have a brand new, high speed, mega memory computer. Those HD files are enormous and the software needs to process them, adding in the cuts and fades, music, etc. The minimum requirements on the software boxes are purely minimums, faster is better. I had to buy a new system this past year, along with an HD monitor as my 3yr old computer couldn't drive the software without jerks so it was impossible to edit. New computer, no problemo.
#3....editing to make good movies takes more time than you think. I usually say for every hour of video shot you will spend 10 hours editing and burning. You have to watch clips over and over, back up and fast forward and add music, oops music doesn't fit, go back and trim clip to music, oh, need another clip of that section, watch clips again.... then creating the actual finished video and burning them takes hours.
~~This doesn't mean you can't throw together a bunch of clips and put music to it in less than 3 hours, but it does mean that it will look like it. I have a real dislike of 95% of the videos, especially the underwater ones, posted on YouTube as they have not been edited at all or very little. Okay, rant off. :D

if you want to see some really good videos by members of ScubaBoard, go to Youtube and Vimeo and search: Ronscuba, Mike Meagher, and Roger Uzun. They all shoot with higher end camcorders than these, but it will give you a good idea what to aspire to! Mike and Roger both shoot cold water west coast so that will give you an idea of low light capabilities, too.

robin

Hey Robin. Software, I was just lookng at it at best buy. They had the pinnacle HD software for $50. Computer, I just bought a new one last week that has the HD monitor, windows 7 and 4GB of memory. Hopefully that will suffice. As far as editing I am really looking to just have some fun with the guys I dive with and putting together a DVD of our dive season each year. So hoping that I can pull that off with one of these small cameras, such as the Kodak, perhaps the wide angle lens and some inexpensive lighting such as the Ikelite.

Again thank you for all your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom