Any impressions on Old Providence?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am considering San Andres and Providencia the first week of December. Can anyone tell me what conditions are like at that time? Is it still the rainy season and are the vis and surface conditons affected? I don't mind a little rain but it is too difficult to get there to be stuck onshore. Could possibly go later if need be.
Thanks

Hey CR
November/December is the finish of the rainy season and beginning if the northerly winds. You know what both can bring you it terms of vis. Although I have had great weather in these months. You just never know.
I am in the planning stages of a trip in March 6-13 with woodman and a few other friends. If you are interested in joining us let me know.
Ciao
Tad

I am interested in putting a trip together to Old Providence as well. You are correct when you say the problem is getting there. I am in south Florida and COPA Airlines has flights from Miami to Panama City then to San Andres(around $400.000 round trip) then an island hopper to Old Providence(around $200.00). The return trip is rough, as it leaves San Andres at around noon. So you have to get the island hopper early enough to make that flight. Then from San Adres to Bogota, to Panama getting in Miami at midnight.
Old Providence looks wonderful and you can get great deals for a week of diving including breakfast and dinner, 2 boat dives a day for around $800.00 a week.

I am interested in putting a trip together to Old Providence as well. You are correct when you say the problem is getting there. I am in south Florida and COPA Airlines has flights from Miami to Panama City then to San Andres(around $400.000 round trip) then an island hopper to Old Providence(around $200.00). The return trip is rough, as it leaves San Andres at around noon. So you have to get the island hopper early enough to make that flight. Then from San Adres to Bogota, to Panama getting in Miami at midnight.
Old Providence looks wonderful and you can get great deals for a week of diving including breakfast and dinner, 2 boat dives a day for around $800.00 a week.

Let me know if you need any help or information I do the trip a few times a year.
BTW The island hopper is running $270,000cop with a $2000 exchange rate it is comes to $135us

I read this atricle this morning also, My wife leaves in a week for San Andres, I'll have here get me some more information and post it here as soon as i get it.
Ciao
Tad

Please let us know how the trip went. I just transferred to Bogota, Colombia for a couple of years and plan to spend a LOT of free time in San Andreas or Santa Marta. I've only been here 3 weeks so haven't made it yet. I'd like to take small groups (>5) up there for OW or specialty training. Mix some great diving with training.

Ok I will write my post later since I am leaving the office now but I can give you guys all the details about it. Been there a couple times, know everybody there and all the in and outs. I will be posting later today with all the info.

Ok you have some facts right: I don’t know about Sonny’s but I did dive there with Sirius dive Center (Sirius Dive Center - Providencia Isla, Colombia) and they are phenomenal!! The owner is a new yorker , he is super nice and they actually provide accommodations as well; keep in mind all the accommodations are kind of “backpacking style” since they are family-owned operated hotels with nothing fancy (bungalow style properties). The only hotel from a known chain is the Decameron Providencia which is a well known chain worldwide; they offer the all-inclusive packages (Resort Overview of the Decameron, Providencia). They are the most expensive one in Providence but you are playing safe with the selection since it is the best kept property and the service of course has to be parallel to international standards and you can choose from all the different packages.
About the airlines, the last time I went there flying via Panama was the cheapest option but the schedules were kind of weird so I flew to Bogota first. Keep in mind, the only way to get to providence is making a plane transfer in San Andres; there are three airlines that fly to San Andres from bogota: Avianca, Aerorepublica and Satena; Avianca is part of the skyteam alliance so you can use points from Delta or Northwest to pay for avianca flights as a regional flights; Aerorepublica is part of the Copa Group so you could link a flight to Panama and from panama to San Andres through the same ticket.
Unfortunately Satena, which is the only one flying to Providencia, is the Army airline and they do not have any agreement with any international alliance, so these are your options:
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] Fly anywhere-Panama-San Andres through any airline and get the plane from San Andres to Providencia to Satena.
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Anywhere – Bogota – San Andres through any airline and get the plane from San Andres to Providencia to Satena
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Anywhere – Bogota and get the entire ticket through Satena for Bogota – San Andres – Providencia.
There are only two daily flights to providence from San Andres: 7:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. every day of the week BUT if they don’t have any passengers in the morning, they usually cancel the flight and reallocate the passengers on the next flight. The Highest price for this flight is $225.000 (around U$130) roundtrip but it can be cheaper based on dates and availability
Keep in mind, the last week of March is “Holly Week” in Colombia so it is PEAK SEASON for which everything will be super expensive if you do it on those days but seems like you are planning to go on the first week which is ok then. The other thing to keep in mind is that in South America, airfares are extremely expensive due to government taxation and gas surcharges so your allowance for flights there should be pretty “roomy”.
DO NOT expect any kind of resort type accommodations, fancy beaches or great touristic facilities! Providence is one of those corners of the world where there is still virgin beaches with barely couple restaurants on wood-made kiosks where they fish whatever you order before they cook it and where everything is still made on artisan way. Some people hate it, some people, like me, loves it!! I hate touristic traps, busy beaches, crowded places, providence is everything but that!! If you like empty beaches, no noise, no sales people offering you anything, then providence is for you; you will have over 10 miles of empty-virgin beaches for yourself and a couple other divers who love to go there.
You can rent a scooter and drive around the whole island in less than an hour and there is only one way around since there are no more roads, only the perimeter one; the only place where you will see more than one road is the “downtown” where are a couple blocks around. I am not quite sure about the high capacity tank but the people from Sirius used to have all the gear up to date and in perfect shape wo I guess you will be ok; send them an email, they speak English.
I guess I am covering all your questions so far but I am 100% sure you may have tons more now that you discovered I know all the ins and outs about the island so please feel free to email me back with any other questions you have; Hey, I am the same way so I know how it works!! LOL!!
Feel free to contact me at any time I will be more than happy to provide any information anybody else would need.

Paulo

The Providencia ferry/catamaran runs San Andres to Providencia at 0700; Providencia to San Andres is at 1630. Try www.providencesway.com for more info. Haven't used it myself, but have the brochure and plan to try it out. Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom