Any info on Looe Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all - and it sounds awesome - now we just need to get Mother Nature to cooperate on the weather.

Also, never meant to mention we didn't like or want snorkelers... when we're not with tanks, we're snorkeling ourselves... and from what I've read, this might be a place to save a few bucks and snorkel instead of diving - will have to see.

All I meant was not wanting to be on a boat that's too crowded... saw too many of them in Hawaii and now we try to avoid them. I have a crowd allergy - and the rest of the family seems to have caught it from me! I prefer smaller groups... at least, when diving or snorkeling.

Just made reservations with Strike Zone for Monday. My father did anyway... he and my mother will be snorkeling, I'll be diving, and my grandma will be watching. It'll be a big 'ol family outing! :wink: Hopefully the water is calm for them, cause if it was rough like it was when I dove the Grove and French Reef yesterday, I don't think it would be too much fun to snorkel.

Brian

I don't know if the other charters do it but Strike Zone asked us to surface half way through our dive and give them the OK. They said they do that because it's easy for people to follow the reef fingers and get so engrossed they don't realize how far from the boat they are and they don't turn their dive in time to get back to the boat on time.

Oh and bring a watch. They tell you what time to be back at the boat, they don't say "be back in x minutes" they say "be back at 1pm" kind of hard to do that without a watch.

We really enjoyed diving with them even though there was one other diver on the trip so we ended up as a threesome and he hadn't dove in a LONG time. We had to work through a few problems during gear-up and the beginning of the first dive but he was into the swing of it quickly with a little coaching. They kept the snorkelers in the front of the boat and we had all kinds of room at the back. I think they sell snacks on the boat so bring along some cash if you don't want to tote snacks along.
Ber :lilbunny:

Thumbs up for Strike Zone. Big boats. Nice folks. Small dogs. You will see.
Plenty of bottom time. Also they have this cool snorkel/environmental tour that is really well worth it. Last time we were there it was to rough to dive so we took the tour which is on the inside. Plus they provided the food. Can't go wrong.

bdshort:
Just made reservations with Strike Zone for Monday. My father did anyway... he and my mother will be snorkeling, I'll be diving, and my grandma will be watching. It'll be a big 'ol family outing! :wink: Hopefully the water is calm for them, cause if it was rough like it was when I dove the Grove and French Reef yesterday, I don't think it would be too much fun to snorkel.

Brian

I dove looe key a couple of years ago and saw a tiger shark, below is the "anticipated" forecast for monday

MONDAY
NORTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 4 TO 6
FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF AROUND
2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS CHOPPY

A pal- ship wreck writer and historian, diver and worked at Mel's years back just stayed at the Looe key resort and dive shop-bar& resort and turned me on to this jewel I have past many times, rooms great, boat nice, shop has all you need , vis was great! so location is nice as its out of KW!
I will for sure send folks to this opp and do some dives if I get a day off!
Brad

I snorkeled there before I was certified, I was in awe even then.

The viz was amazing, I can only imagine scuba there must be incredible. The divers who were with us on the boat reported great experiences.

moneysavr: That's where we're staying, but I had read some not so great things about them a few months back, which is why I think we decided to go with Strike Zone. When did you go with them, cause maybe they've improved? They do offer a 3 tank trip for a good price, so if you had a good experience with them, maybe I'll make one of my upcoming trips with them, either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom