any info on moosehead lake (Maine) dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there have been a few threads over the recent years.

Fellow SB board member Costi did some sleuthing a few years ago and came back with this info:

Well, just got off the phone with a gentleman named Bob xxxxxxx who has dived Moosehead and other surrounding lakes looking for artifacts for the past seven years.Boy I'd like to spend some time with him!

I have a list here a mile long of as he calls them "hot spots" that I'll need to sort through. The most I got from him was that from an artifact hunting point of view it is best to have a boat....prefers a pontoon which several mariners such as the Birches in Rockwood will rent. He prefers this method because what he will do is to find the oldest of camps on the shore......go to between 200 and 300 ft from shore and drop anchor in about 35-45 ft. of water. The reason for this is that back in the 1800's they had a local ordinance that trash had to be dumped at least 200 ft from shore. So they would load the ice with trash and in the spring it sunk.

An interesting spot he recently found he says was an old "farm" under water. The farmer in the 1800s lined up all of his old farm equipment on the ice and when it sunk it made the farm. Gave him an eerie feeling he said.

He recently came across and is researching how to retrieve it...an old prop and shaft......not sure of what it is attached to.. of about 4' in diameter. From the measurements and research he has done, he figures it weighs about 1800 #.

Another spot was an old 1000 foot pier that steamships used to frequent up near Northeast Carrie. Lots of artifacts.,bottles, crocks, just found a mint condition porcelain spitoon that he was proud of.

Spoke of Boulders as large as your house, lots of lumber and logs. Said that some places are sand....others mud...

--------------

I wonder if Costi still has that long list? It actually sounds more promising than I recalled and it would make a fun expedition. At the time Play-It-Again in Bangor was the closest shop, they have dropped scuba so now it's down to Southwest Harbor or Waterville for air. Bring what you need.

Hope this helps,
Pete

thanks for the info. i'll let you know how we did!

we dove the twilight. You can see where it was crushed by ice. Anyone that dives it should also visit the tour steamer out of greenville as they have similar structure. very cool to see the before and after. The wreck has some swimthrus. A dive light is needed. check out the crayfish in the debris field around the wreck!

here is the info from wreckhunter.....

Vessel Name Twilight
Other Names
Vessel Type Moosehead Lake excursion boat
Owner Coburn Steamboat Company
Length / Beam / Draft (feet) 96' / 20' /
Tonnage
Hull Construction Wood - ironclad at waterline (to resist ice damage)
Propulsion Diesel (originally steam) / Propellers
Cargo
Built 1910 at Greenville Junction, ME
Date of Loss February 1921
Reason for Loss Damaged by ice while in winter storage
Fatalities None
Location Moosehead Lake, Greenville Junction, ME, 30' off south shore of Steamboat Point
Coordinates (Lat/Lon) 45-28-09N / 69-37-15W
Coordinates (Loran C)
Water Depth (feet) 3 - 30'
Typical Visibility (feet)
Wreck Condition Hull intact, superstructure broken up,
Diving Considerations Boat access only; shore access prohibited. Wreck is protected by the State of Maine; no molesting or artifact removal is allowed.
Other Information Shipwrecks Kineo and Pricilla are sunk nearby, off the northeast side of Shipwreck Point. This information was provided by diver Chris Hugo. For more information on Moosehead Lake wrecks, contact Chris at wreckclues@juno.com

we dove the twilight. You can see where it was crushed by ice. Anyone that dives it should also visit the tour steamer out of greenville as they have similar structure. very cool to see the before and after. The wreck has some swimthrus. A dive light is needed. check out the crayfish in the debris field around the wreck!

I dove on the twilight in August. I heard that there were wrecks nearby but did not know where to look. Where should I look to find the tour steamer or other wrecks in the greenville area?

Back
Top Bottom