Any interest in a potential future dive event in Eastport, Maine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adshepard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Would there be any interest by divers in a diving event during the summer, either 2006 or 2007, in Eastport, Maine where noted UW photographers, dive industry personnel and marine science experts offered seminars and/or workshops along with some great diving experiences?

I met UW photographer, Jonathan Bird , in Eastport, Maine this weekend and he tossed around the idea of having such an event. His, actually his wife's, idea was to have an event where a few noted UW photgraphers, dive industry personnel and marine scientists offered workshops/seminars and of course people could dive wonderful Passamaquoddy Bay. Such an event would benefit not only divers but also the local economy which could use a boost.

We tossed around a few names of possible presenters and it could be a very nice roster of experts. We just need to know if there would be sufficient interest before some type of organizing occured.

It's a long haul to Eastport even for those in New England but it does have the area's best diving.

I also dove with Jonathan and he introduced me to his "pet" wolffish that he hand feeds. It was pretty cool to see a wolffish swim from its den and take food from your hand.

DSDO

Alan

Sounds interesting,, My sister lives on the water in Perry, I could work in diving, and a visit in one shot!!

are you planning any actual diving...
i grew up not to far from there and there are some crankin curents and tides there.
it does sound intresting...
and i would be intrested as more info becomes avalable.

I will be very interested, could you please find out more info about the place, Hotels transportation etc...

Rafael:
I will be very interested, could you please find out more info about the place, Hotels transportation etc...
lol
have you ever been to eastport before.....

Diesel298:
lol
have you ever been to eastport before.....
I understand that a family of racoons have moved into a very large stump, and will be renting rooms to travelers very soon. Space is limited. so call now ;-)

dbg40:
I understand that a family of racoons have moved into a very large stump, and will be renting rooms to travelers very soon. Space is limited. so call now ;-)
lol
on a serious not calais is probally the closest place with accomidations
thats about 30 min or so away from eastport

Diesel298:
lol
on a serious not calais is probally the closest place with accomidations
thats about 30 min or so away from eastport

Right in front of the most often used dive site in Eastport, the old steamship pier, is the Motel East. The Motel East is an extremely nice motel and very dive friendly. There are also many bed and breakfasts in Eastport, cottages and of course campgrounds.

I own a home in Lubec which is the closest town with a dive shop and there is a nice motel there plus other accomodations. Nearby Perry also has motels.

Eastport itself could accomodate plenty of divers.

Diesel298:
are you planning any actual diving...
i grew up not to far from there and there are some crankin curents and tides there.
it does sound intresting...
and i would be intrested as more info becomes avalable.

Ripping tides and currents are the standard so slack diving is a must for the most part. Between dive times would be the time for seminars and workshops. It's in the very early discussion stages and we'll see if it can all be pulled off.

adshepard:
Would there be any interest by divers in a diving event during the summer, either 2006 or 2007, in Eastport, Maine where noted UW photographers, dive industry personnel and marine science experts offered seminars and/or workshops along with some great diving experiences?

I met UW photographer, Jonathan Bird , in Eastport, Maine this weekend and he tossed around the idea of having such an event. His, actually his wife's, idea was to have an event where a few noted UW photgraphers, dive industry personnel and marine scientists offered workshops/seminars and of course people could dive wonderful Passamaquoddy Bay. Such an event would benefit not only divers but also the local economy which could use a boost.

We tossed around a few names of possible presenters and it could be a very nice roster of experts. We just need to know if there would be sufficient interest before some type of organizing occured.

It's a long haul to Eastport even for those in New England but it does have the area's best diving.

I also dove with Jonathan and he introduced me to his "pet" wolffish that he hand feeds. It was pretty cool to see a wolffish swim from its den and take food from your hand.

DSDO

Alan
I'm in. Just give me the dates,
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom