Any NC divers out there that live in the Charlotte area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divematt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any NC divers out there that live in the Charlotte area? I'm getting antsy to go diving and have a hard time finding other "local" divers looking to take short (4hrs or less) or long (4 + hours) drives to decent dive sites. The quarries here are a bit cold yet for me and the drives to Florida are a bit long and costly without another diver/driver or two. Anyone nearby need to get wet in Florida or have suggestions for trips?

Matt-

We're in Huntersville, so hello! The most active group I've seen was at Open Water Adventures in Concord. They take a lot of weekend trips out to the coast if you're looking to take in some local diving.

divematt:
Any NC divers out there that live in the Charlotte area? I'm getting antsy to go diving and have a hard time finding other "local" divers looking to take short (4hrs or less) or long (4 + hours) drives to decent dive sites. The quarries here are a bit cold yet for me and the drives to Florida are a bit long and costly without another diver/driver or two. Anyone nearby need to get wet in Florida or have suggestions for trips?

Open water adventures has some coast trips planned starting in June. Check it out.

divematt:

If you can get yourself to the intersection of I85 and I26 (Spartanburg), and you can drive well, you can get a free ride (i.e. no gas money/I'm going anyway and I could probably use the "karma") to or back from Fl. You can't stay at my place (too small), and its a one-way kind of deal but it would save you some money for the bus and help me out with the drive. Just an idea. Oh yeah, I'm looking at the end of April to the
end of May.More or less. Its adjustable. dave

I am in Gastonia, we do some quarry and lake diving out of south carolina. lakes are not so cold now but the quarry was about 52 last week not too bad we wore 6 mm wet suits and didnt get to cold. Check out Sharkys Dive Center gastonia we do a lot of off shore diving in the summer and some trips to fl.
well any way let me know if you want to hook up and go diving.
later.

Matt,

If getting wet is all you need not to far from you is Lake Norman Quarry. It is run by the Peidmont Dive Rescue Association. There is usually a good group out there on the weekends and now the days are getting longer there will be alot going after work. http://www.ncpdra.org/ this is thier web site so you can check them out. As far as dive trips Open Water Adventures has quite a few planned for this season.

Dive Safe, Butch :scubadive

outlaws:
Matt,

If getting wet is all you need not to far from you is Lake Norman Quarry. It is run by the Peidmont Dive Rescue Association. There is usually a good group out there on the weekends and now the days are getting longer there will be alot going after work. http://www.ncpdra.org/ this is thier web site so you can check them out. As far as dive trips Open Water Adventures has quite a few planned for this season.

Dive Safe, Butch :scubadive

Butch:
I am just finding out about the Lake Norman Quarry. I have requested and received information from them and it looks like a good close place to hit the water. All these years I never knew it was there!

Anyway, the material I received doesn't tell much about the diving there. Depth, temp, viz, etc. When can you start diving wet there, or is it dry diving? Any hints you can give me? I have a buddy who is newly certified, and it looks like this may be a great place to work on skills.

Thanks

Out of the three quarries the PDRA manages everyone tells me that Lake Norman Quarry has the best vis. At the end of March it was 40-50 feet. The water temp. that day was 46 degrees top to bottom. As far as diving wet my buddy on that day wore a wet suit but I dove dry. Hope this helps.
Dive Safe,
Butch

the viz is always good there the temps are a little cold would rec. at least a 6 mm. wet suit hood and gloves. the max depth is around 95 feet at the cruiser. it is a good place to pratice skills. my dive buddy is also new just finished her training does not even have her first dive yet. this is where i am going to go take her to get her skills a little more polished before we do the ocean thing. p.m. me if you have any questions. hope to see you at the quarry.

wrong question to ask most of use go diving all the time , I my self just got back from Cozumel and got dive planned next weekend off coast will still most likely need 5 mm this time of year, but actually some of the best visibility there is .
give any of us a holler i live about two hrs from Charlotte area but down there quit a bit .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom