Any other visually impaired divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doll_Fin

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After a lifetime of wondering whether being legally blind would prevent me from being able to dive, I recently realized a life-long dream and discovered that my vision was not a hindrance (basically, I am what is known as a "high partial" which means I can see well enough to function unassisted for most things, but still qualify as being incorrectably legally blind and I am unable to drive).

I am wondering if there are any other visually impaired divers around here who would like to share their experiences.

I would also like to thank Laura and Duane from Admiralty Dive Center in St. Thomas for their fantastic instruction and for making my first experience with scuba diving an amazing one!
:pinkdolphin:

I am an instructor in arkansas and have certified a legally blind diver. He could wear a hard contact in one of his eyes and used it and a magnifying glass to read his compass. He is a treasure hunter and runs a metal detector.

Are you a candidate for lasix or other corrective procedures? I was unable to see the BIG E unless it was inches from my face without glasses or contacts until I had the procedure. I suspect I may have had a higher functioning level than you do, but check with a board certified opthomologist.

No, my particular situation is with the optic nerve and not the eye itself. It is a genetic condition and VERY rare. Although not progressive, it is incorrectible by anything known in today's science (trust me, if there was a way, I would do it! :) Glasses or contacts do not make enough of a difference so I never bother with them. Fortunately I had no problem reading my gauges or compass, I just have to look at it more closely than the average diver.

Dollfin was an excellent student and earned her board name! Because of her vision, we put her through many tests. We did not want to jeopardize her life at any means. As long as she could read her gauges (depth and air), there was no need to be concerned.

It was such a high and pleasure to experience this with Doll. Makes our lives and our choice of career worth it!

Dollfin was an excellent student and earned her board name! Because of her vision, we put her through many tests....

Ok, fess up, you put Dave up to the whole "banded coral shrimp in the BCD" stunt just to test me, right?? I got you guys figured out!:rofl3:

It was such a high and pleasure to experience this with Doll. Makes our lives and our choice of career worth it!

You and Duane are not only the best friends, but the best dive instructors a gal could ask for!

When I worked a charter boat in the Keys, I met a totally blind diver. I helped her in the water and back to her seat when she finished her dive. You are not alone and others with worse vision are diving.

When I worked a charter boat in the Keys, I met a totally blind diver. I helped her in the water and back to her seat when she finished her dive. You are not alone and others with worse vision are diving.

I've heard about others since I started investigating it for myself.

It's amazing how, even with just a minimal disability, there are always people who tell you what you can't do without ever even giving you the chance to try. Unfortunately, when I was a kid, I was told "no you can't" to just about everything I ever wanted to do. Unfortunately, I just accepted it and I ended up with a lot of self esteem issues that lasted well into my adult life. For a long time, my attitude was "Why should I even bother trying". Within the last 10 years, I finally started realizing that I didn't have to keep listening to all those childhood "no"'s, and so I started taking steps toward achieving long-forgotten dreams, of which diving has always been one. I still do battle with my issues now and then, but I know everyone does to some degree. I just do my best to not let any feelings of self doubt overwhelm me. Now I'm 42 and I feel that even though there is a lot I have missed out on in my life, it's just that much more I have to look forward to now. Hopefully the best part of my life is ahead of me.

Hey, Doll_fin, you wouldn't happen to have ocular albinism, would you? My uncle and one of my best friends has that and it sounds a bit like what you describe. It's very rare in women, but I don't think it's impossible for a woman to have. Anyway, my friend wants to dive and if he can ever get his migraines under control, I was wondering how his vision would affect him being able to dive.

Back
Top Bottom