Any Personal Trainers...I need help!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some help in coming up with a 6 week program to get me back into shape. I'm leaving for Central America in early march to DM and its occurred to me that I'm not in the shape I need to be for this endeavor. I smoke a pack a day (I know i need to quit and I'm trying) so I need some suggestions on how to build up my cardio fitness. I'm also leveling off at just under 200 lbs at present, which isn't horrific as I'm a built guy to begin with and 5'10, but i could lose some chunk for sure.

Can anyone suggest a good 4 weeks program to address these issues and provide me with obvious results at the end of it? Any help from trainers would be appreciated!!

Jay

calling coach, calling coach, your help is needed

ME too please. Except I'm a woman, I could really use lose about 80 pounds, but I'm not a couch potato. I've been wanting to get on it.... but you know... however, now I am leaving for Sudan March 18 and am a bit panicked!! I know quick fixes are not the ideal... but wow, anything that can help in fairly short order ... :)

I amy.... if you scoot over to the SB Challange forum you will see a few threads that might help you out... we have a weekly weighin also to touch base and talk about the different things we are doing

cheers

Scuba-Jay:
Hi guys,

I smoke a pack a day (I know i need to quit and I'm trying) so I need some suggestions on how to build up my cardio fitness.

Jay

Step One - take 3 of the weeks and STOP SMOKING.

I think this would be a great start !!

Please dont take the suggestion the wrong way...

bob

dlndavid:
calling coach, calling coach, your help is needed

I heard the call and here I am! :D I can't believe they say those horrible things about you Dave :wink: You actually seem like a nice guy!! :D :D

To answer the original poster, a program is something that is VERY individual. There are some well designed templates that can be adapted to particular needs. Your best and safest bet is to get a copy of Cameron Martz book "Fitness for Divers". His programs have a nice progressive approach, and are very applicable to your goals. He is a reputable individual, and knows his subject.

My advice is that you get a copy and start working on it. I seriously doubt that you will find anything more substantial here. A lot of posts, though well intentioned, are seriously flawed, and rely on hearsay more than a structural approach. That is not the case with Cameron. And no, I have no interests vested, but I always know a good product and when to recomend it. Good luck.

coach_izzy:
....I seriously doubt that you will find anything more substantial here. A lot of posts, though well intentioned, are seriously flawed, and rely on hearsay more than a structural approach. .....

so what are you saying... that cabbage soup thing doesnt work :D

:eyebrow::rofl3:

Restrict your calorie intake to 1500-2000 per day spread across 5-6 meals. Eat the complex carbs earlier in the day. Avoid simple carbs totally. Drink 1 gallon of water per day. Eat lean meats and fish, fresh fruit and veggies. Cook simply and do not deep fry or use commerical salad dressings. Stay away from prepared foods - too much fat, sugar, and sodium. Do not eat 3-4 hours before bedtime. If you do pick something light like carrot sticks.

Pick a workout based on the equipment you have access to. Pick 8-12 excercises that work your entire body and do it 2-3 times per week. The other 3 days try to do some cardio. If you do not have the time then you can try circuit training, by doing all the excercises one after another. Warning-It is harder than it looks.

Some good books: the abs diet, body for life, The T-diet.

In six weeks you should be about 20 lbs lighter and in much better shape. Also see a doctor about the smoking.

Edit: Try to do some stretching also for about 15 minutes a day.

AmyJ:
ME too please. Except I'm a woman, I could really use lose about 80 pounds, but I'm not a couch potato. I've been wanting to get on it.... but you know... however, now I am leaving for Sudan March 18 and am a bit panicked!! I know quick fixes are not the ideal... but wow, anything that can help in fairly short order ... :)

Amy not to discourage you but 80 lbs in less than two months is rather tough. Dropping weight too quickly is not very healthy. Follow my advice but stick closer to the 1500 calorie mark and you will lose the weight and feel healthier.

Back
Top Bottom