Any problems when you first started?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is almost the same with everyone, breathing underwater isn't natural. But now, that initial feeling of taking the first few breaths underwater everytime, no matter where I'm diving justs fuels my desire to dive more. The more you enjoy it the more relaxed with your breathing you can become.

Vybrant:
I think it is almost the same with everyone, breathing underwater isn't natural. But now, that initial feeling of taking the first few breaths underwater everytime, no matter where I'm diving justs fuels my desire to dive more. The more you enjoy it the more relaxed with your breathing you can become.

Off topic, but nice icon. Kenshin fan? :D

No problems for me with regard to breathing. I was a little nervous but the first time doing anything nervous. I guess I really didn't think about it.

Clearing the mask was the challenge. I couldn't keep water out of my nose. Finally figured out how to work around that. Hold my nose until I've took a breath in to blow out my nose.

My wife (a lifeguard in her HS days) has always had a hard time going under the first dive. After 3 years, she still starts to get anxiety. We will be in Coz next month and I have already planned our first dive to be a shore dive in front of the hotel to ease her back under. She is always fine after the intial descent. She will have a blast after that and be ready to go. No big deal. We just do what is necessary to make her comfortable.

red_infinity:
Off topic, but nice icon. Kenshin fan? :D

I guess I just got carried when I started thinking about when I first started diving. Er kenshin?? Not a fan to be honest only recently heard of it. The icon just suits me!!!

I had a very messed-up open water. I had bad sea sick, I threw up all the way. My DM left us to chase after a student who aborted the dive without telling anybody. The rest of the students couldn't see and kept going up and down to look for each other (I am glad we didn't get any bent..). I was afraid of big dark corals and fish, my rental bcd was leaking, one of the fins popped up in front of my nose,
but I guess I was lucky because I didn't have breathing problem.

It's really true that as long as we are not panic, everything is easier to solve.

FL_DVLover:
Hi there!

Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced the same problem. When I first started my class for my OW certification, I couldn't even stay under the water in the shallow end of the pool. I wasn't even able to complete my first class. I kept getting this anxiety about breathing underwater and would have to get out. The funny thing is I had never had any fear of the water. I was practically raised in the water and could swim before I could walk. I had snorkled in the ocean lots of times and wasn't scared of anything in the water. However, I did some extra time in a friend's pool just relaxing and breathing through the reg. I was determined that I would get through it and I did. I was able to go back to the class and finish and now I even have my Advanced certification. I can't get enough of it now. I have had 21 dives in 7 mos. without any problem.

The point is, everyone else seems to have taken to scuba right away. So I was just wondering if anyone else had a tough time at first. :06:

Thanks,
D.

I had to convince my brain that breathing underwater was something that could be done. Being nervous breathing underwater is a natural biological instinct for humans but sometimes you just have to overide instinct. Don't sweat it.

I think I had every known probem there was except clearing my mask.....Equuipment,anxiety,etc..... I beat those problems and with that I think it makes me more aware of my students problems....

I am testamony to the theory that the person that struggles with scuba the most stays in the sports longer.....check out my profile.

Ron

Any instructor that let you belive for a moment that you were unsual in needing time to adapt should consider other career opportunities.

My wife took a night or 2 to trust a regulator, then she was off and running and caught right up. The world is full of divers who never came back after the first pool class. Same thing for those who certified but did so with a poor comfort level.

Congratulations on earning your fins! You have accomplished an adaptation, not just learned a set of skills.

Pete

Any problems? Let me think. Well ... YEA!!! You are learning to breath underwater while under increasing demands of pressure and temperature. For 99% of people, it is a slow learning/acclimation process. Just keep at it, learn and give yourself time. Don't rush it. I am still VERY early in the learning process myself. I learn a TON and become more and more comfortable with every dive. Be humble, ask questions and don't stop asking until you are comfortable with the answer. Trust your gut.
Keep your expectations of yourself low and allow yourself to learn and adapt slowly and SAFELY! Don't rush it.

Back
Top Bottom