Any problems when you first started?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FL_DVLover

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there!

Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced the same problem. When I first started my class for my OW certification, I couldn't even stay under the water in the shallow end of the pool. I wasn't even able to complete my first class. I kept getting this anxiety about breathing underwater and would have to get out. The funny thing is I had never had any fear of the water. I was practically raised in the water and could swim before I could walk. I had snorkled in the ocean lots of times and wasn't scared of anything in the water. However, I did some extra time in a friend's pool just relaxing and breathing through the reg. I was determined that I would get through it and I did. I was able to go back to the class and finish and now I even have my Advanced certification. I can't get enough of it now. I have had 21 dives in 7 mos. without any problem.

The point is, everyone else seems to have taken to scuba right away. So I was just wondering if anyone else had a tough time at first. :06:

Thanks,
D.

no problems hear at first but when I dive after a long layoff I seem to get a little panicky when I first descend. Once I get over the initial felling I am good.

Steven

FL_DVLover:
Hi there!

Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced the same problem. When I first started my class for my OW certification, I couldn't even stay under the water in the shallow end of the pool. I wasn't even able to complete my first class. I kept getting this anxiety about breathing underwater and would have to get out. The funny thing is I had never had any fear of the water. I was practically raised in the water and could swim before I could walk. I had snorkled in the ocean lots of times and wasn't scared of anything in the water. However, I did some extra time in a friend's pool just relaxing and breathing through the reg. I was determined that I would get through it and I did. I was able to go back to the class and finish and now I even have my Advanced certification. I can't get enough of it now. I have had 21 dives in 7 mos. without any problem.

The point is, everyone else seems to have taken to scuba right away. So I was just wondering if anyone else had a tough time at first. :06:

Thanks,
D.

I'm working on my DM cert and I have seen many different aspects of anxiety from some students. It seems like you got through your anxiety with flying colors. That's all that matters. Some people are not able to do it. Give yourself a pat on the back and keep on trucking...

It happens to many - as diving is not natural to our senses. Most experienced snorkelers find it easier, but it happens. Glad you got over it...

Yes ... but nothing you can't work through. I did my open water certs in a quarry with about 10' of vis. When I first hit the water, all I saw was green. No points of reference, combined with the natural desire to hold your breath as you go under water, kind of stressed me out until I remembered to simply breath and think. A few minutes later, I was nice and relaxed (as relaxed as a noob can get). Like I said, its nothing you can't get through with practice.

Not uncommon, My wife went through the same thing even though she too was comfortable in the water. It's an adaptation, we were raised to fear inhaling with a submerged face since it meant we were drowning. If new divers are thrown nto the gear very fast without serious skindiving time it's even more likely.

Congratulations on overcoming your initial reaction.

Pete

I had the same problem the first time I tried it, even though I have done quite a bit of deep snorkeling. It is not a natural act to breathe underwater, it is even less-natural to have 'blind faith" in a piece of equipment that we are not familiar with. Especially when that little voice in our minds tells us that our lives depend on that equipment.

typical beginner's problems include having trouble equalizing, trouble descending fast (because of equalizing problems), huge gas consumption rate, waving of hands, etc., trouble dumping gas from bc efficiently, and less than perfect buoyancy and trim to name a few that come to mind. those all things that improve dramatically during the first 10-20 dives.

Thanks for the input everyone. I also think that my mind was rebeling against the idea of breathing underwater. It also made me nervous to have to do my skills while my instructor and everyone was watching. I'm definitely glad that I was able to get through it and enjoy the dive life. :D

ahh you are definately not the only one...i love the water also, lots of snorkeling and swimming but the first time i put my underwater and stayed there breathing really freaked me out. i felt like my stomach was doing tumblesaults. it never went away my first time underwater! i was thinking to myself this is not for me i cant get over it! but it kept getting better and i started building a little more confidence. i even got a little freaked out on one of my certification dives because something went wrong and my first open water dive this past february but after that first open water dive i was good to go! still a little nervous because i have only had a few dives but i get a little less nervous everytime

Back
Top Bottom