Any sharks or wrecks on Kauai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsteg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Visiting Kauai next week. Staying at Poipu with the kids but was wondering if there are any operators offering wreck dives or better yet shark dives?

There are no wreck dives that I know of on Kauai. I don't think any operators do shark dives either. You will see white tip reef sharks at avrious sites around the island. Turtles are easy to come by as well. One day at Sheraton Caverns I counted 20 on one dive. You might be able to make it over to Niihua, ussually around this time of year the ocean starts to become too rough to make the journey. But if you have the option to go, I suggest you take it. Niihua has the best diving for Kauai. There you can see Grey reef sharks, turtles, hawaiian monk seals, and if you are extremely lucky they do see the occasional whale shark, but that is very rare. Kauai is my favorite island among the hawaiian islands, and October is my favorite time to go. I ussually dive with Sea Sport divers, but there are other good operations on the island as well. I have heard good things about Fathom Five as well. Both shops are located in Koloa which is about 10 minutes away from where you are staying in Poipu.

I don't think anyone is going to Ni'ihau this late in the season - those trips usually stop in early autumn.

You might see white tips at Fast Lanes or Fish Bowl - 2 sites that Seasport Divers goes to. Scuba Diving

no wrecks but sharks are around. I have seen white tips and a hammer head, I have a dive buddy that has seen several tigers as well. However you don't see sharks on every dive but there is always a chance.

I'll be visiting the same area (Poipu) last week of Nov/first week of Dec...have 10 days, would love to spend 5 diving, so if you had your pick, where/who would you dive?

Thanks

Reid

depends what you like. you can get descriptions of the dive sites from both fathom five and seasport divers web sites all the company go to the same sites.

Back
Top Bottom